Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

Stretch Relative/Absolute

Zdenko
Advocate

read most if not all of the posts i could find on stretching and have not been able to solve? i have a beam that simply needs to be stretched 12' on either end. seems yesterday stretching elements was not a problem. for some reason when i try to key in 12' it gives me either a stretch down near the origin of 0,0 or it gives me a beam that is exactly 12' long or it moves it to the left of the end point of the beam itself? i have gone bonkers selecting/deselecting switches in the tracker and work environments to the point i have no clue what is what anymore. any suggestions?

Operating system used: Mac Apple Silicon Sonoma 14.4.1

Archicad 27 5030 USA Full Apple
M3 Max 36GB MacBook Pro
iOS Sonoma 14.5
17 REPLIES 17

hey buddy appreciate all your help, but i give up!. my tracker changes from 3 lines (distance, angle to z) and sometimes it shows (distance, angle, x, y, z). tried to use "-" and still get the same inconsistencies. resorting to guidelines...

M3 Max 36GB MacBook Pro
iOS Sonoma 14.5

Hi @Zdenko,

In addition to all explained above by Barry I tried to show stretching technique in a short video, it may help more.

* I could stretch the wall by 2 ways, either typing the total desired length in Distance area or putting the distance I need to add to or subtract from the wall.

- For example, I need to stretch a wall = 2-meter length,

1) Select the wall, to see the reference line location.

2) Click on the black dot at the wall end, don't move or press shift.

3A) Type 3 in Distance area then it'll be 3-meter length, or type 1 to be 1-meter length.

OR

3B) If you type 0.43+ in distance area you get it 2.43-meter length, and if you type 0.43- you get it 1.57-meter length.

* As you see sometimes you need Archicad to calculate it for you.

** All this should be applied provided that you activated the Relative coordinates in tracker as Barry explained above.

*** Sorry if + & - are not shown in the window background but I hope you guess their positions correctly.

**** Pls watch the attached video below while applying the above-mentioned steps.

AC 27 INT 5060/WIN 11
AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics 3.20 GHz 16.0 GB

hi Mahmoud - generally speaking most of my stretching is related to increasing/decreasing the element by a specific distance as you have shown. looks like the "+" is working and understand but what am i doing wrong with the "-".

M3 Max 36GB MacBook Pro
iOS Sonoma 14.5

@Zdenko, I see you're using Mac, right?

Sorry I'm using win. so, I think you should manage this minus operation, try to put minus before the number & see if it's going well.

AC 27 INT 5060/WIN 11
AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics 3.20 GHz 16.0 GB

no problem and appreciate the assistance Mahmoud.

M3 Max 36GB MacBook Pro
iOS Sonoma 14.5
Solution

@Zdenko wrote:

hi Mahmoud - generally speaking most of my stretching is related to increasing/decreasing the element by a specific distance as you have shown. looks like the "+" is working and understand but what am i doing wrong with the "-".

Because you are Imperial measurements, I think you may have to type '-' twice.

i.e. 2 - -

The first minus is a shortcut for feet I believe.

I am not 100% sure, as I do not use Imperial measurements.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Solution

@Barry Kelly wrote:

@Zdenko wrote:

Because you are Imperial measurements, I think you may have to type '-' twice.

i.e. 2 - -

The first minus is a shortcut for feet I believe.

I am not 100% sure, as I do not use Imperial measurements.

Barry.

That is correct, need to type "-" twice.

David

David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14

thanks guys that was it.

M3 Max 36GB MacBook Pro
iOS Sonoma 14.5

Setup info provided by author