BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Annoying Archicad

Anonymous
Not applicable
This thread is for those things Archicad does that during the daily grind makes one clench their teeth.

This is not meant to be a wish list, but a place to tell the devs what where and how Archicad causes frustration while using it (and maybe a place where "bad" behavior can be explained if there is a reason for it).
52 REPLIES 52
cant always make window labels opaque

Can't always get the orientation you need either.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

ever try to get the orientation for the text in a wall tag (Structure Label 18 ) for example to read the way you want it-- text vertical with wall tag perpendicular ? I am not sure you can do it. Annoying to fuss with it
2015-01-16_13-19-54.png

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Anonymous
Not applicable
Im so frustrating by archicad Library Loading Report....

When i get some missing objects from attributes...i would kill my self....

Instead of GS make this issue fixable with right click and delete in Library loading report i have to go....to lose 30 minutes of my life fixing library.... finding what is missing and from where....

OMG

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ANNOYING !
Anonymous
Not applicable
Something one of our staff mentioned today, and everyone chimed in: 'Oh, yes. I do that every time! It drives me mad!'

It's this: When opening a drawing in a second (or third) instance of Archicad, we forget to tick the box. So the next question is, 'Save changes before closing (your current session)?"

So why do we always forget? Because there is no 'Open a New Session' on the drop down menu, you click on 'Open' and then go find the file in Finder. By the time you've identified the file you wish to open, you've forgotten that you have to tick the 'Launch a New Instance of Archicad' box. So you hit 'cancel' and go round again.

In the same vein, that second session may be for a drawing that you had open recently - and there it is teasing you in the 'Recent Files' menu. You can't open it from there, because there's no box to tick.

What we need is 'Open in a New Session' on the main File drop-down, and then 'Recent Files' can be offered as an option. Not difficult to program, I think. All you need is the will!

I wonder how many man-hours our office wastes on this one per year!
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Keith wrote:
Something one of our staff mentioned today, and everyone chimed in: 'Oh, yes. I do that every time! It drives me mad!'

It's this: When opening a drawing in a second (or third) instance of Archicad, we forget to tick the box. So the next question is, 'Save changes before closing (your current session)?"

So why do we always forget? Because there is no 'Open a New Session' on the drop down menu, you click on 'Open' and then go find the file in Finder. By the time you've identified the file you wish to open, you've forgotten that you have to tick the 'Launch a New Instance of Archicad' box. So you hit 'cancel' and go round again.

In the same vein, that second session may be for a drawing that you had open recently - and there it is teasing you in the 'Recent Files' menu. You can't open it from there, because there's no box to tick.

What we need is 'Open in a New Session' on the main File drop-down, and then 'Recent Files' can be offered as an option. Not difficult to program, I think. All you need is the will!

I've trained myself over 9 years to only open files by starting a new archicad session, hitting the browse button (ignore the recent list, file-name might look good, but your colleague moved the file, renamed it or worse antics) and go look for the file I want to open.

We also use the project number as the first part of ANY folder in a project's main folder structure, but that's another story. Only fool proof way we have of saving files in the right spot
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
To properly chime in:

Our office is part of and old converted barn building. The electrical wiring etc isn't that solid, sometimes we have a power outage in part of the building. Popular one being the server, which means ArchiCAD can't find it's license and prompts you with an evil misleading prompt about closing drawing or saving it somehow.

Best practice seems to be to ignore the prompt until we get the server running again, but I've lost many hours of work by clicking the wrong (again misleading) option. I can't reproduce the prompt from top off my head, but it's EVIL!!
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Another one:
Long standing bug with cursor sticking to pan-hand, plain-old-arrow, etc instead of changing as needed.

Work-around: change active tool to arrow tool and back, cursor working again.

It's survived from (I think) ArchiCAD15 into 18 now.

I'm so used to it by now, I hardly notice it anymore, but it is annoying.
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Erwin wrote:
Another one:
Long standing bug with cursor sticking to pan-hand, plain-old-arrow, etc instead of changing as needed.

I run into this every so often but I have to restart the project (not the instance) to get it to reset.
Barry Kelly
Keith wrote:

Have you tried setting this option in the Work Environment?
This image is from 17 but it is in other versions too.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Matt Balaam
Enthusiast
zeropointreference wrote:
Erwin wrote:
Another one:

I run into this every so often but I have to restart the project (not the instance) to get it to reset.
Try opening a 3D view then going back to the plan to reset the cursor rather than restarting the project, works for us and is much quicker.
AC21 (8002 AUS FULL) | AC24 (7000 AUS FULL)| Windows 10 Pro | Intel Core i7-12700 @ 2.1GHz | 32GB RAM | NVidia T1000
Learn and get certified!