Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

ArchiCAD 18 announced

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Find the official announcement and new features at:

http://www.graphisoft.com/archicad/archicad-18/overview/
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
152 REPLIES 152
Anonymous
Not applicable
DGSketcher wrote:
Dan wrote:
currently there is no (easy) way to add say a new external insulation layer to an existing wall, which is a pretty common requirement now for retrofit / refurb. works.
I just cant understand why GS have not fixed this!!

Why do they implement new features and then completly ignore calls from users on the front line who are saying " we really like this new tool, but it needs to be modified like this, because in real life this is how we need to use it"
Anonymous
Not applicable
JaredBanks wrote:

BUT BUT BUT

Exploding PDFs into vectors is going to be one of the most used features. Every cut sheet on the Internet is ours to use. No more searching for DWGs or .GSMs or whatever. Every product has PDF data. And most of that was created in autocad or some equivalent. So just drag, drop, explode, and do with it as you will. Need the right size for that elevator? Grab the cut sheet and drop it in. Explode and grab just the parts you want. Or if you can just turn off the layers and you're done. Window details from the manufacturer? Break metal? Joinery info? It's all there in PDF. We can now gobble it up and use it however we want. So rad.
Ive been importing exploded PDFs into Archicad for a while now, there are a number of free third party PDF/DWG converters out there. I think there was even a thread on this somewhere onthis forum from a while back.

This PDF control update looks promising if it can reduce some of the HUGE PDF file sizes that can be produced when publishing from Archicad.
gpowless
Advocate
While I am underwhelmed by the features released in this upgrade I wish that Graphisoft would also include all the subtle changes that come along with the major release. The little tidbits often aren't well documented but I have found in that past (when I or someone else discovered them) did as much to improve workflow than some of the major changes.

The big problem I have found is that there are undocumented changes as well that actually decrease workflow.... and example being the context menus failing to default on the last operation and requiring 2 or 3 clicks where previously 1 did it.

Since I am not excited about this release, this may be the parting shot for me using Archicad. I find it has many features that become redundant and for the price of 2 years of upgrades I can jump over to SoftPlan and have many more useful features for most my work.
Intel i7-6700@3.4GHz 16g
GeForce GTX 745 4g HP Pavilion 25xw
Windows 10 Archicad 26 USA Full
I don't understand all of the haters. AC18 is a bloody good release.

The marketing team at GSHQ are focused on the Rendering Tool and Revisions which as stand alone features they are huge improvements on the current solutions in the software. But there are some big efficiency gains and process improvements that are to be had.

An example is this with BCF capability embedded in ArchiCAD think of the QA and coordination capabilities using Solibri doing model checking and rule checking then sending the BCF file into ArchiCAD for your team to address any issues.

The other OPENBIM features will maintain ArchiCAD's lead in providing an OPENBIM software solution.

There are many other features that don't have heaps of coverage but will make most users processes easier.

Users need to realise the software development is similar to building a house, there is a particular order in which it is done / built. The foundations need to be placed before you can address other issues. Some of the long standing issues that I wish could be addressed I realise that, A they will never be addressed, or B they will eventually be addressed when the time is right based on development timing. Instead of complaining embrace what you have and focus on getting something good out of what you have got rather than complaining about what it doesn't have. It just isn't productive.

That my two bobs worth

Nathan
Nathan Hildebrandt fraia
Director | Skewed
AC6 - AC27 | WIN 11 | i9-10900K, 3.7Ghz | 32GB Ram | NVIDIA GeForce RTX
Barry Kelly
Dan wrote:
..... the integrated C4D Rendering (probably won't come with SOLO Version anyway?)......
Yes the C4D rendering is included with the Archicad solo software.

There are no 'Teamwork' versus 'Solo' versions of the software.
It is all the same - it is up to you whether you install the additional teamwork features or not.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Barry wrote:
Dan wrote:
..... the integrated C4D Rendering (probably won't come with SOLO Version anyway?)......
Yes the C4D rendering is included with the Archicad solo software.

There are no 'Teamwork' versus 'Solo' versions of the software.
It is all the same - it is up to you whether you install the additional teamwork features or not.

Barry.
just a correction...

A special Solo version of ArchiCAD is accessible to the UK and Ireland customers only. And unfortunately either C4D rendering engine or Teamwork functionality is not part of the Solo package.
::rk
Barry Kelly
Rob wrote:
just a correction...

A special Solo version of ArchiCAD is accessible to the UK and Ireland customers only. And unfortunately either C4D rendering engine or Teamwork functionality is not part of the Solo package.
WOOPS,
I wasn't aware of that.
Sorry.
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Karl Ottenstein
Rob wrote:
just a correction...

Sheesh. Really? How does "Solo" relate to "Start"... and why the heck is GS creating this marketing and user confusion?
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sheesh. Really? How does "Solo" relate to "Start"... and why the heck is GS creating this marketing and user confusion?
ArchiCAD SOLO is a "lower-cost" version of ArchiCAD. In the UK & Ireland, Solo replaced the previous "Start" version which I believe was/is a more limited version of the software - Solo is essentially the same as the full Version, but with some functionality removed, mainly Collaboration limitations (No Teamwork / Hot Linked Modules / External Drawings / XRefs / Reviewer / PMK file format support) and without LightWorks rendering.
Rakela Raul
Participant
it seems like a great version !!

hope b-testers did a decent job
MACBKPro /32GiG / 240SSD
AC V6 to V18 - RVT V11 to V16