Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

ArchiCAD 18 announced

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Find the official announcement and new features at:

http://www.graphisoft.com/archicad/archicad-18/overview/
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
152 REPLIES 152
Anonymous
Not applicable
Where can one find the setting for "Ambient Occlusion"?
Eduardo Rolon
here.
Screen Shot 2014-07-01 at 1.17.07 PM.png
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
We bought a £400 quid graphics card (Nvidia K2000) it made bugger all difference to 2D and 3D viewing speed!
Eduardo Rolon
It shouldn't because CineR is a CPU renderer not a GPU one so the benefits of an expensive card will be on other items.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
ejrolon wrote:
It shouldn't because CineR is a CPU renderer not a GPU one so the benefits of an expensive card will be on other items.
Yeah, I know. We wanted to improve the 2D/3D viewing/navigation speed.
alemanda
Advocate
How to download a demo of Archicad 18?
I'm owner of an Italian License for Archicad 16.
In myarchicad I can download the AC17 but not 18 ...
How to get AC18 INT version?
I'd like to test it to decide to upgrade or not ...
AC27 latest hotfix

Win 10 Pro 64bit

Double XEON 14 CORES (tot 28 physical cores)

32GB RAM - SSD 256GB - Nvidia Quadro K620

Display DELL 25'' 2560x1440

www.almadw.it
Barry Kelly
Have a look at this post and see if it helps.
There should be a button for trying the new version.

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=231670&highlight=trial#231670

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
I'm not sure where else to post this, (or if anyone else has had these issues and thus, this has already been addressed), but I've been having some pretty nasty "hangs" and freezes with ArchiCAD 18, where all I get is the spinning circle (Windows 8.1) and you basically have to kill ArchiCAD from the task manager (since it won't let you close it any other way.).

That would be bad enough on it's own especially when it seemingly happens for almost no reason and often times very randomly - but, the bigger more frustrating issue here is that when you do kill it in Task manager, it doesn't completely "kill" it, and the 'ArchiCAD.exe' process remains in the task list (Despite the ArchiCAD window shutting down) and you can no longer "kill" it because it keeps giving you the "The Operation could not be completed : Access denied" message.
Which in itself is an even bigger problem because as long as that process is in the task list, I can't start a new ArchiCAD session and it forces me to completely restart the computer just to remove it entirely from running in the background and blocking any new ArchiCAD starts.

At first it was merely annoying, but now it's starting to be really frustrating, especially if you're working on other programs and have to shut down and restart the computer entirely just to be able to get back to work.

I'm not sure if the issue is related to the CineRender process running in the background (which is a huge resource hog) or the fact of running it in a Windows 8.1 environment (although I've had similar hangs on my windows 7 machine, as well), but it seems most common when I put my laptop into hibernation and then wake it up again, and try to restore the AC18 window. It might also be a graphics card related (Intel HD Graphics 4600 integrated with a NVIDIA GeForce GT740M dedicated, on a HP ENVY TS Notebook running an Intel Core i7-4700MQ processor with 16G RAM) since it also seems like it happens when ArchiCAD is trying to regenerate the windows.

I'm not certain if the GS folks know about these hangs and these stability issues and if they do, if there's an ETA on a Hotfix to resolve it.
For the time being, I've had to switch back to AC17 just to be able to get some productive usage of my time and cut down on all the time wasted with the crashes.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Bricklyne, did you report these to your reseller?
If this happens only on AC18, I am sure GS would like to know about it.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
laszlonagy wrote:
Bricklyne, did you report these to your reseller?
If this happens only on AC18, I am sure GS would like to know about it.
Yes, I was told that a hotfix should be expected sometime in the Fall, and since we are in Fall, I figured I would check to see if there was any possible timeline or progress.

I just saw another thread asking for a Hotfix on the forum and they were told that Marton Kiss said essentially the same thing (Early Fall-ish).

So I guess when they're ready with one they'll let us know.