cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Starting August 6, 2024, TLS 1.2 will be the minimum required protocol version for Graphisoft products and services that require an online connection. Learn more…
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Archicad 14 New Features

Dennis Lee
Booster
See what's on youtube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/Archicad#g/c/5C1926DD91A70C7B

Personally, not much in it for me at all!
ArchiCAD 25 & 24 USA
Windows 10 x64
Since ArchiCAD 9
310 REPLIES 310
Anonymous
Not applicable
Brett wrote:
Krippahl wrote:
"users can expect important procedures such as generating door schedules to improve by five to six times".

You obviously haven't used Door and Window builder. Those who have, have had this since V12, and probably still way better than the integrated one.
I´m under the impression, the way the article is written and the GS site mentions the thing, that this new way of handling schedules is not only about Doors and Windows, but any schedule.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Yes, the speed improvement is true for Schedules in general, not only Door/Window Schedules.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
laszlonagy wrote:
Yes, the speed improvement is true for Schedules in general, not only Door/Window Schedules.
Great!
But can you be more specific? Is it faster only to generate the schedules, or also to modify them?
For instance, in my experience, entering data on a big schedule (2000+ zones) is not only tedious but time consuming, because it always takes a couple of seconds for each fields to recognize the input.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Unfortunately, that all the info I know and I got it from GS. But very soon you guys will be able to see it for yourselves.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Downloaded AC14 at lunchtime today!

My initial thoughts after playing with it for about an hour or so are pretty good.

- Shadows in 3d are really good. It's a shame they don't stay on when you move around, but they redisplay instantaneously.

- General speed improvements. AC seems to start much faster and the libraries load faster too. The floorplan display seems quicker.

- Turn plaster in doors and windows now optionally shown in 3d. (But as noted in the reference guide, they don't show as a separate skin in section [or in a 3d document ], just an extension of the wall fill.)

- D&W now have options to over-ride the opening lines set in Model View Option.

- The schedules are much, much faster than before (not really instantaneous, but still considerably better than AC13!)
[EDIT: I'm not sure about this now. After more thorough testing I can't detect any increase in speed! See my post below.]

- Better offset functionality seems to work well. It's much the same as before but with more options.

- New ArchiCAD 14 icon!

Haven't tried the new Teamwork2 features, or the IFC exchange tools so can't say anything about those.

Although there aren't really any big new features if you don't use TW or IFC, the little tweaks here and there seem to make a noticeable difference, and hopefully allow you to get things done a bit quicker than before!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Peter wrote:
- The schedules are much, much faster than before (not really instantaneous, but still considerably better than AC13!)
That is a major reason for me to make the upgrade!
I would love to see some benchmarking.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Actually Miguel, I will take back what I said about the speed of schedules! Re-reading the New Features reference guide it does only mention the door and window schedules increasing in speed.

I've opened an existing AC12 project in 13 and 14 and played with a window schedule, but strangely I can't really feel any difference!

I also tested it with the fairly large schedules supplied with the Electrigon 2.0 Electrical object, and I can't see any speed increase.

When maximised in a large 30 inch display there is actually an increase in the delay it takes when you switch between different objects within the same schedule. In fact, I'd that AC13 is faster in this respect!

Also in AC13, when scrolling down a long schedule with one of the fields highlighted there is quite a long delay where it seems to 'step' through each of the fields in that row before it will actually scroll down. In AC14, it doesn't look like it 'steps' through the fields any more, but still takes about the same length of time before scrolling (maybe 6-7 seconds), so no increase in speed there.

Therefore I must apologise for the accuracy of my previous post - I only quickly checked on a fairly small test schedule which did feel quicker.

Have any other users noticed any quantifiable increase in speed, especially using a large screen? Do we have to use the AC14 doors and windows to see this increase in speed perhaps?
Anonymous
Not applicable
That's not good
Karl Ottenstein
Peter wrote:
I've opened an existing, tiny AC12 project in 13 and 14 and played with a window schedule, but strangely I can't really feel any difference!
In a large home, door and window schedules (text) take about 5 seconds in AC 12 and instantly appear in 14. Nice. On the other hand, the graphic door legend takes 3 times LONGER in 14 than in 12. Same slowdown in a different file.

So, some good news, some bad news. Hopefully the legend generation is a flaw waiting for a hotfix.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.8, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I like the new Library-related infos, like it will list missing elements and how many instances there are.
You can refresh the status in the Library Report Window so you can check whether your action handled the problem without having to go to the Library Manager and reloading the library.
It also gives you info if there are duplicate objects.
Makes it much faster to handle these issues.

The other one I like is the new Find & Select criteria.
You can search for elements referencing missing attributes, like a missing fill or linetype. That is also a very big help.