Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

Archicad 26 Layers

Too Long
Enthusiast

How do I select all layers, lock/unlock and hide/show all layers in the new layers window?

AC26 AUS Full
26 REPLIES 26

Layers are definitely running out of grace with users that want to adopt modern BIM oriented workflows - not sure why GS don't seize the opportunity and move to a criteria based approach which I think would put them up front in that regard. The framework is already implemented and familiar to users and it would remain compatible with layer based workflows.

As for AC26 - for me the search functionality in itself was enough to switch (under SSA) but it is frustrating to see how they botched the implementation of folders - squandering the chance to make layers somewhat pleasant to work with.

Don't mind your idea but removing layers will be a mistake.

I am all for adding new ways to control how information is viewed but am against of removing basic workflows since for AC to be viable it needs to be easy to use. Teaching how to use Layers which only control on/off and intersections to new users is not simple (been teaching AC to architecture students since R08) and if we include it within a new command that will make it more complex and will frustrate a lot of newbies. So we have to be careful about how we implement stuff there have to be AC workflows for beginners that lets them be productive with a simplify set of tools (like Layers and Pen Sets) and as they get more experience then they can move to Criteria and GO's.

Users need to be able to level up as they use AC and the way GS have develop AC in the last 20 years have made it more difficult to teach and learn. With AC09 and 10 I could get a third year student up to basic user within 16 hrs now as GS removes buttons, hide options behind right clicks, etc it takes 2x-3x as much as before. For example creating a Student Template used to take me around 2 classes now it takes around 4-6, just did the one for 26.

If GS wants to explore a new theme/concept for the next 10 years then they should go with being "The easiest to learn and most powerful BIM authoring tool for architects" and with that we remove the basic complain that offices cannot find trained users since onboarding becomes a relative non-issue.

IMO if they want to change the whole BIM paradigm this cannot be fixed with training videos or courses, this has to be made as an essential concept within AC not as extra training. Doesn't matter how fast the software is if it takes 3 months to get a newbie up to basic speed.

Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Valid points about AC becoming increasingly hard to overview and thus teach/learn/work but I naturally don't think that my suggestion would make it worse. To clarify, I don't suggest that layers should be removed - they should just be demoted. And I can't really see how properly implemented it would be more complex than the current situation. (Unless find & select is to be considered too complex?) On the contrary I think that is necessary for taking AC in the direction you describe.

We are in agreement though I would clarify "demoted" since Layers were "usable" before 26 when they unnecessarily removed the "extra" buttons and the way folders and search work will never justify their removal.

-

You would be surprised what is considered "complex" by newbies…

Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

ChrisZolezzi
Participant

This is one of those times when the update is not as good as the previous version. The Layer window functionality in AC 24-25 was perfect from my perspective and they ended up making it worse. Not only is it harder to lock/unlock Show/hide the selected layers but the new version is so much slower than the pervious ones. 

Windows 10 pro 64, HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2643 3.4 GHz (24core), 128GB Ram, 2TB primary, 3x 2TB secondary, Dual Bridged NVIDIA RTX A6000 GPU
Oculus Rift, Quest 2 and Quest 3 VR Headsets.

Yes indeed!!!

But it seems to fall on deaf ears.

Its like GS is making changes for the sake of changes with no regard to functionality.

AC26 AUS Full

I'm finally getting going on AC27 (skipped using AC26 to resist updating my OS) and starting a fresh template in lieu of migrating my old one.

Not only missing select/unselect/lock/hide buttons, but the ability to print the layer/layer combination list. 

🤬

Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.5 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)