Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Archicad for Linux

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I think the linux market share will grow in 2005.
I usually work with OpenOffice 1.9, Mozzila, Gaim, Skype, Oracle 10g, GIMP 2.1, Blender, Dia, ArcGIS 9.0 software that run on windows and linux,
I would like to work with a version of Archicad for linux,

Now we only have Building Information Modeling (BIM) software in linux:
- ARCAD 90, from www.arcad.de - only in german i think
- BricsCad, (brings DWG to the LINUX community) beta version, from www.bricscad.com
and a old 2D Software - Microstation 95 for Linux
Does anybody know if there will be a linux version of archicad in 2005?

thanks,
Bernardino
153 REPLIES 153
TomWaltz
Participant
Haneef wrote:
Haven't read all the post, but here's my few cents:
1) The advantage of developing ArchiCad for an open source software such as Linux is that Graphisoft could contribute to and shape Linux to run ArchiCad to its best. (If Graphisoft can't do it, then I'll be worried about how they'll innovate and cope with other challenges)

2) The only thing preventing me from switching to Linux is that ArchiCad is not available on it.
Do I read that right, that you think Graphisoft should start programming Linux and writing parts of Linux so it could Archicad, and if they cannot start volunteering effort to this cause, then they cannot handle other challenges?
Tom Waltz
Haneef Tayob
Booster
TomWaltz wrote:
...Do I read that right, that you think Graphisoft should start programming Linux .......they cannot handle other challenges?.....
A bit of strong words there. If one looks at the topic in question, it does not really matter whether my words have been misinterpretted or not.

To ellaborate more on the point I was trying to make.
To create a 'normal' version of ArchiCad on Linux just for the sake that its out there may not make sense. What I was trying to get at is that Graphisoft might see some limitation in creating software for the current proprietary operating systems. If there are such limitations, then with open source there's a possibility they could control and address these possible limitations. If there is to be an ArchiCad version for Linux, it has to be special, offering what the other versions cannot offer.

Possible examples:
- I'm not Graphisoft, nor a linux guru but maybe there's a way that the open source operating system and ArchiCad could be integrated where say 99% of the resources are allocated to ArchiCad and other applications simply open up in the ArchiCad 'operating system'. The Linux version of ArchiCad could then ship with the customised version of the operating system.
- It may be that integrated ArchiCad/Linux system is able to access and use resources from other pc's on the network to improve ArchiCad's abilities.

What I do recall is that whilst I was (on the dark side) raving about AutoCad 9 on DOS, ArchiCad was already speeding away into the future on the MacOS. Like in the past, the issue should be about creating the best cad software. I'll be prepared to make some sacrifices.
Haneef Tayob
Aziz Tayob Architects
AC23 INT rel 3003, OS X 10.14.6 iMac 3.3ghz i5 dual monitor, 24GB RAM
Anonymous
Not applicable
TomWaltz wrote:
Haneef wrote:
Haven't read all the post, but here's my few cents:
1) The advantage of developing ArchiCad for an open source software such as Linux is that Graphisoft could contribute to and shape Linux to run ArchiCad to its best. (If Graphisoft can't do it, then I'll be worried about how they'll innovate and cope with other challenges)

2) The only thing preventing me from switching to Linux is that ArchiCad is not available on it.
Do I read that right, that you think Graphisoft should start programming Linux and writing parts of Linux so it could Archicad, and if they cannot start volunteering effort to this cause, then they cannot handle other challenges?
i was suspecting at first.... but now i realy wonder....

ARE YOU IN ANY FORM ASSOCIATED WITH THE COMMUNIST PARTY OR MICROSOFT??
TomWaltz
Participant
Constantin wrote:
i was suspecting at first.... but now i realy wonder....

ARE YOU IN ANY FORM ASSOCIATED WITH THE COMMUNIST PARTY OR MICROSOFT??
Nope. I'd just rather see a highly functional next release of Archicad than a lame one accompanied by an announcement of a Linux version.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
stefan wrote:
You might try installing it in Windows and copying the installed folder over. I remember that older ArchiCAD versions (e.g. 6.0 & 6.5) could run without installation, since all required dynamic link libraries (DLLs) are inside the main ArchiCAD folder.

I suspect problems with the hardware lock detection, though, since that needs Sentinel (6.x) or WIBU (8.x 9.x) software installed. You could try with a student version. I still have the student version of 7.0 which ran without lock (and with certain limitations).

The installer is Java-based, which is probably one of the main problems.

FWIW, BricsCAD Architecturals (based in IntelliCAD) is "ported" to Linux, but only through WINE.
there is an open-source-based version of java available (java-sun, i think) (dont know, if this might help solving the problem...?) and also an open-source "quicktime" (i think, its called "open-quicktime" ^^)
i allready tried simply copying the AC-folder to my linux-system and emulating it with WINE, but my notebook simply freezes... (im running the Mandriva 2007 ONE edition)
my main-problem is, that im an absolute linux-newbie... i have no clue about those emulation-possibilitys... (if there are any?)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Just to add some news to the debate:

MS and Novell partnership

Official Novell press release
video webcast

mercurynews article

Novell News
Anonymous
Not applicable
i want to say some on subj
this discussed in at least three topics, so i deside to post here. I understand that nobody will do linux version.
I allready run archicad 8.1(I'm not very shure in version) on linux with wine .30, thats of course not realy good working. But something is working well.
Now is three (imho) realy good working linux desktop-oriented distros: SLED, Mandriva 2007, UBUNTU (FreeBSD and Solaris(OpenSolaris) is not, because of less hardware support and more server oriented OS's)
I think that graphisoft needs to turn with face some more to open source comunity(I not crying that you must become OSS - Maya, Softimage XSI, Renderman, Houdini, maxwell render for example is realy commercial software that run on linux(in some post i read something like: if U made for linux - U must be OSS. No - it is not).
As for me I don't like windows (not cause all not like, it not comfortable to me work in windows(exept vista, not try this1), I like terminals in unix way os's, and unix bash commands... unix man... its pretty good. I did not need to install the alot of thirdparty software to protect system...
In administration windows is very complicated for me with it policyes, not understandable (for me) process list... is it legel process or not. Now i have some process that trojan virus is started, I spend at least tree days to solve this problem. I try most effective (as for me) anti spy software, but still have some tricked in system: browser unexpectly opens winantivirus, and errorsoft webpages...
(example of "simplicity" "interoperatebility" of M$ products is realy simple for someone?)
one way to fix that is to reinstall all system, with all programms
Of course i can install some image disk program... but it is one more third party program...
from other side very good alternative is buying mac. I go to apples site and see good price in 1100 USD for imac. I go to our resellers and see price in 2500-3000USD for same imac - this is not good price for me...
So problem is still actual for operating system hackintosh or linux.
stefan
Advisor
I think the "other threads" you mention have already said most of what there was to say.

I'd welcome a Linux version of ArchiCAD, but not at the cost of underdevelopment of the current Windows, Mac PPC and MacIntel versions. At a one-year release cycle, it is even less certain that it will happen.
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Anonymous
Not applicable
So why is Maya, Softimage XSI, Renderman, Houdini, running in all kings of OS? I don't think they are doing it for nothing and they are at one year release cycle with far more wide range of usage than AC. also it will be a bonus related to other software. when some one is going to buy AC he has to buy a Window$ for 300-600 (the cheaper version doest support AC). You need a antivirus software and upgrading theme each year. oops i forgot about upgrading your pc for buying new M$ window$ OS. think about now if you own a small business with 5-10 pc. the more flexible is your software the better is for your clients ans for GS profits.
Anonymous
Not applicable
syber wrote:
...with far more wide range of usage than AC...
Exactly. ArchiCAD is a vertical market product with a smaller potential client base and much more complex programming requirements.