Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Are you a modeling whiz??

Anonymous
Not applicable
How do you go about doing this? I've gotten everything to align well, but when I try and run the angled trim at the face of the dormer down it "effs" everything up.

I'm trying very hard to "model more, draw less" but sometimes it's frustrating!

dormer.jpg
47 REPLIES 47
Anonymous
Not applicable
Steve & Matt,

Do you agree on a method easiest to use? I think either way I have to create a custom profile as you mention Matthew based upon the slope and profile of the eave mold, correct?

Thanks
Anonymous
Not applicable
Steve wrote:
What I mean by schedules is material list. Do you need to be able to extract the data from your molding in to a schedule showing how many feet of each molding there is? This makes a difference in how things are modeled.
I am not modeling for schedules, no.
I don't think there is any best method to use and I am not sure I could do it the same way twice. It takes a bag of tricks.

The first part is finding the complementary profile that will match at the miter. The next part is how to clean it up. This will require some SEO.

I am not sure this can be done in a way that preserves the smooth curves of the inital profile. Making model parts and using the profiler with smooth curves is a chalenge even with proper magic wand settings.

good luck.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Steven,
Again, please see this thread. The method shown does work
and the curves in the complex profile are smooth.

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=103276&highlight=raking+molding#103276

Peter Devlin
Anonymous
Not applicable
Peter,

Thank you, I'll give it a try.
In ArchiCAD 15 these magic wand settings will get you the smoothest possible curve. "Best Match" is never as smooth.

I still don't know how to get a smooth curve with ArchiCAD 15.

Any tips ?

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com//files/best_match_is_not_best_curve_307.jpg

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Anonymous
Not applicable
Steven wrote:
Steve & Matt,

Do you agree on a method easiest to use?
Thanks
Aside from finding the method that is easiest to use for our modeling purposes, I believe that we should not lose focus of how Eaves are really being built in the Non-virtual (real) world.

What do you all find the best way to model what is actually being built?
The same way you would model what is not being built.

I hope Steven will not build his eaves this way, but if he does, you would print off the profiles to scale and make a custom shaper bit for it.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Jay wrote:
Aside from finding the method that is easiest to use for our modeling purposes, I believe that we should not lose focus of how Eaves are really being built in the Non-virtual (real) world.

What do you all find the best way to model what is actually being built?
Depends on the architecture and location. People do certain things in certain places that other people from other places don't.

In my practice I've seen more instances where the rake molding terminates at a horizontal molding which eliminates the mitering issues mentioned earlier.
rake-mold.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
Steve wrote:
I hope Steven will not build his eaves this way
That is the classical way to do it, and when the project is a greek sorority, it kind of demands a level of "historical correctness", for lack of a better word.

In our experience, carpenters have used the same profile on both eave and rake, but custom cut the ends (not a true miter, requires a coping saw, and is very tricky) and used wood putty or something to fill in the void, and sand and paint.

You can do as was just mentioned in the last post, which as he said, eliminates the problem.