Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Are you a modeling whiz??

Anonymous
Not applicable
How do you go about doing this? I've gotten everything to align well, but when I try and run the angled trim at the face of the dormer down it "effs" everything up.

I'm trying very hard to "model more, draw less" but sometimes it's frustrating!

dormer.jpg
47 REPLIES 47
Anonymous
Not applicable
view 2
dormer 2.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
I understand the sloping piece up the rake is actually a slightly different profile.
Are you modeling for schedules or just for the look of it in 3D ?

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Anonymous
Not applicable
Cue Ralph Wessel...

OBJECTiVE
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Steven,
Please see this thread. It deals with several issues
related to rake and eave moldings.

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=103276&highlight=raking+molding#103276

Peter Devlin
Anonymous
Not applicable
The Wiki has an article showing one technique that uses the Shell tool -

http://www.archicadwiki.com/GableProfileWithShell

It would be much simpler if GS just allowed you to adjust the end angle of complex profiled beams like you can now with shells!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Steve wrote:
Are you modeling for schedules or just for the look of it in 3D ?
I'm modeling for the elevations, sections, etc. as well as the look in 3D.
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Your best bet (in my experience) is to model the profiled trim with a seperate profile and put it on a different layer with a different layer intersectiongroup. This will stop the elements interacting with eachother.

Be sure to set the intersectiongroup number on all your layer combination, so that all your views clean up properly.

The only way I've been able to give angled beams a proper mitred cut, is by cutting the beams with a roof (giving the roof the mitre angle).

Luckily traditional roof / gutter detailing in NL isn't ussually detailed like this. Still, I've drafted intricate things before and sometimes I ended up going back to the old Profiler addon and just create objects. At least it's easier to get the mitred joints. It still only goes in one direction though, so you can't go around the bend in one go.

Hope that helped.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Here is an example of a rake/crown miter. This was done with profiled "beams" which I ran past each other to prevent them automatically joining. I then used SEOs with slabs set at 45° to get the vertical cuts.

As others have mentioned the rake is a different profile from the crown and it is not just a simple stretch since vertical to horizontal relationships are affected differently by the rotation and the relative cut angle.

It is not possible in my experience to fake this detail in the field acceptably (I used to be a master carpenter). You need to either find or custom mill proper rake/crown pairs or use a different detail. A common practice is to have the rake die into a horizontal return of the entablature. It's not proper classical order but it looks better than trying to miter parts that don't fit.