cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Starting August 6, 2024, TLS 1.2 will be the minimum required protocol version for Graphisoft products and services that require an online connection. Learn more…
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Attribute Manager: Purging/Deleting Empty Layers

Scott Bulmer
Booster
We have a project with some left over empty layers that I'd like to get rid of. By making visible only those empty layers and using the "Find & Select" tool, I have confirmed that no elements whatsoever exist on any story, section/elevation or detail, and further that no tool is linked to any of the empty layers. When attempting to purge unused layers from the Attribute Manager, layers that I believe to be empty will not be purged. I don't want to delete a layer from the Layer Settings dialog box that may have information on it, even though it appears empty. My preference is to delete it from the Attribute Manager. Can someone please tell me what I'm missing?
AC27 v. 4060 w/ MEP, Cadimage, Twinmotion 2023.2.2 using AC from AC6.0, 2021 MacPro M1 chip, Adobe CC. Used AC on both platforms.
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable
The attribute manager is —for me…— the good way.
Just verify the layer by defaults of the differents tools ant switch them on layers that you want to keep.

The attribute manager don't purge empty layer if they are the "layer by defaults" of any tool of ArchiCAD.
Scott Bulmer
Booster
Frédéric Deschamp wrote: [The attribute manager won't purge an empty layer if they are the "layer by default" of any tool of ArchiCAD.]

Yes, that was checked as well . That's what I meant when I said "further that no tool is linked to any of the empty layers."
AC27 v. 4060 w/ MEP, Cadimage, Twinmotion 2023.2.2 using AC from AC6.0, 2021 MacPro M1 chip, Adobe CC. Used AC on both platforms.
Scott Bulmer
Booster
I guess what I'm asking; is this a bug or am I missing a step? The Attribute Manager will not purge some empty layers even after I do the following:
1) make only the empty layers visible.
2) Find & Select then delete all elements on each and every story, section & detail window.
3) set the layer of each tool to the Archicad layer.
4) attempt to purge unused layers from the Attribute Manager without luck.
Could there be something else linked to these layers that is not visible, which is preventing purging?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry for the misunderstanding Scott
I really need to work my english…
No more ideas
When I have your problem, I finish the work by deleting manualy the "empty layer" without apparent consequencies…
Scott Bulmer
Booster
Frédéric,
Your english is a million times better than my French could ever be. Communicating these issues can sometimes be difficult and naturally lead to misunderstanding. The difficulty I'm having with this may simply be a frustrating bug.
Frédéric wrote:
When I have your problem, I finish the work by deleting manualy the "empty layer" without apparent consequencies…

It sounds like you have experienced exactly what I'm describing
Anonymous
Not applicable
Scott wrote:
It sounds like you have experienced exactly what I'm describing
Hello Scott
Yes I have…
Greg Kmethy
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Scott,

Attribute Manager regards layers used as default in Accessories and other Add-Ons as 'used'. E.g the Extras/Slab Accessories tool will put elements on the "Foundation" layer as default, therefore "Foundation" will not be purged by the Attribute Manager.

HTH,
Greg
Gergely Kmethy
VP, Customer Success, Graphisoft
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Yes.

This is being discussed concurrently at: http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=41788&highlight=#41788

Cheers,
Link.