Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

AutoCAD files to ArchiCad

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,
I open an AutoCad file with my ArchiCad 8.1 and some text is becoming unredable (questionmarks).
Can somebody help me giving an advise on the procedure so to read the AutoCad text when opening the file in ArchiCad.
I appreciate your help
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
constantine wrote:
Hello,
I open an AutoCad file with my ArchiCad 8.1 and some text is becoming unredable (questionmarks).
Can somebody help me giving an advise on the procedure so to read the AutoCad text when opening the file in ArchiCad.
I appreciate your help
Make sure that you have the same fonts installed on your system as what is referenced in the autocad file. Even the shapes file. I have setup a seperate fonts folder with all autocad type fonts (other than truetype) for when I reference a dwg file.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Make sure that you have the same fonts installed on your system as what is referenced in the autocad file. Even the shapes file. I have setup a seperate fonts folder with all autocad type fonts (other than truetype) for when I reference a dwg file.

What I will do is to ask them to attach the fond as well. I assume that making a foldar with all autocad fonds they may possibly use is a good idea. What I am not sure about is where I should be keeping this folder and what I should do (if this is the case) to direct ArchiCad to reading them.
thank you for your help
Constantine
Djordje
Virtuoso
constantine wrote:
What I will do is to ask them to attach the fond as well. I assume that making a foldar with all autocad fonds they may possibly use is a good idea.
Better idea is to tell them to do eTransmit. This will pack the DWG, all Xrefs, blocks, fonts, whatnot into a single ZIP file.

Watch out how do they do the Greek in AutoCAD - if it is not system based, there are definitely SHX Greek fonts floating around, that ArchiCAD will not be able to translate. Or, might do with difficulty.

HTH,
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Ben Odonnell
Contributor
constantine,
The best thing for you to do is to find out what the STYLE name is that they are using in AutoCAD.

Then you can, as I have shown in the attached image, translate the AutoCAD STYLE to any ArchiCAD TTF font you like.

If you don't know the STYLE you can always take the second option, "Replace missing fonts with" then choose the desired ArchiCAD font.

BTW. Referring to *.SHX files does not work in ArchiCAD 8.1, ArchiCAD simply ignores them. ArchiCAD 9, however, can take help of the *.SHX files.
HTH.
Cheers.
Ben
Fontconv.jpg
Ben O'Donnell
Architect and CTO at BIMobject®
Get your BIM objects from bimobject.com