Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

BEAM VS WALL

Anonymous
Not applicable
hello everyone
i have a problem with beams and walls. with the priority thing

when i have beams' priority higher than the walls' they appear in the sections as i want them to, but the appear in some elevations too

when i have the walls' priority higher the beams disappear almost from everywhere and unfortunately from the sections too where i need them.
do i do sth wrong?
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
Setting the priorities can be a little tricky, particularly in relations between concrete and steel structure and non-structural elements.

I haven't had anything like the problems you are describing. Are you talking about beams placed internally to walls? In that case the beams do need to have a higher priority to show in section, but they should not show in elevation unless they penetrate the surface of the wall. If the beams are fully contained within the wall but are still showing in elevation, you may have run into a bug.
Anonymous
Not applicable
this is the best view i get only with rectangels
often i see the whole beam line
and my beams are all inside the walls in all dimensions and their priority is higher than that of the walls
Anonymous
Not applicable
Djordje
Ace
Sounds to me like incorrect modeling.

Is your beam centerline in the middle? Do your beams join properly? Are the materials on the sides of the beams and the walls the same?

It could be a bug, if the answer to all of the above is yes.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
unfortunately the answer is yes
it tool me a long time to understand all these things in the past and now that i did i still have problems.
is there anything i can do for this 'bug'?
should i consult graphisoft's office here in greece?
Anonymous
Not applicable
check materials. If they are not the same you will see a line.

Generally the only solution to this problem would be to introduce an outer skin for the construction. As in reality. Modelling manually as a wall accessory may not be hard but its very tedious when editing. (a have in mind the cadimage accesories).

The best solution would be smth like.
1) Select walls, beams, columns slabs in a story you want to have a common material surface.
2) Right click (or press a button) with a command like "Create Outer surface.
3) A 3d surface with defined thickness would be created with a surface = the union of selected elements (this needs of course clarification for slabs, columns etc , it should be defined inside its element which sides-face define the outer face
4) you could then add - remove elements and the surface reconstructed on the fly.
5)you could name them (surf-story1..)
6)you could Join surfaces on the same story or different stories

This would be the definite solution for all of us