Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Backing up to CD-R

Anonymous
Not applicable
With the large file sizes I am using a CD to do a daily back-up of the changed files. I have one CD per client.

What CD read and write methods are you using?

I have used DirectCD on "old" computer with my MATSHITA CD recorder. My new 4780 with the Samsung Drive does not seem to support DirectCD.

Adaptec DirectCD is a program that allows you to write files directly to a CD-Recordable (CD-R) or CD-ReWritable (CD-RW) disc in much the same way that you copy files to a floppy diskette or removable drive.

DirectCD provides a file system based on UDF v1.5 and writes data to the CD-R or CD-RW disc using packet writing technology. This file system gives you drive letter access to your CD-R or CD-RW drive.

I don't know if packet writing technology has gone by the waste-side.
20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable
Folks,
just wondering...

Now that DVD-R are unnexpensive, had anyone started
playing with them?
I'm planning to get one quite soon, what about it?

One DVD can save many CDs

funny to think, when I started playing with computers
a 1,44 MB floppy was endless.
Stephen Dolbee
Booster
avcamara wrote:
Folks,
just wondering...

Now that DVD-R are unnexpensive, had anyone started
playing with them?
I have a dvd+r/rw, but haven't used dvd media to store data yet. I can still store several archicad jobs on a single cd. However, if archicad and lbk files continue to get any bigger, I will probably switch over.

Steve
AC19(9001), 27" iMac i7, 12 gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb, OS 10.12.6
Anonymous
Not applicable
The only problem with DVD-R is speed. The fastest ones (last time I checked) were rated at 4x (relative to the speed of an audio CD) which is VERY slow compared to the 52x CD writers. I think it is only worthwhile for backing up a large project that won't fit on a couple of CDs.

On the other hand, it does come in quite handy sometimes. It is still a bit amazing to me that it's built-in to my PowerBook.
stefan
Expert
DVD-R speeds are not the same 1x as with CD-R speeds!

CD: 1x=150KB/s
DVD: 1x=1.385KB/s
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Anonymous
Not applicable
stefan wrote:
DVD-R speeds are not the same 1x as with CD-R speeds!

CD: 1x=150KB/s
DVD: 1x=1.385KB/s
I am certainly no expert in this area, but are you sure that CD-R recording is over 100 times faster (surely there is a typo in your numbers). At the rate you quote it would take over 900 hours to write a full DVD. Perhaps you meant to say 1.385MB/second?

This number sounds about right. It takes my internal drive about an hour (as I recall) to write a full DVD and it is rated as a mere 1x drive (the 1.385MB/second comes to about 0.9 hrs for a full burn). I just checked Lacie's website and they have a new 8x DVD which should therefore burn 4.7 GB in under 8 minutes. That is fast.

I stand corrected and am glad to know that the DVD+/-R formats are getting fast enough for real backup functions. I guess the 1x speed must be the rate that a movie is played. It makes sense to me now. Thank you for pointing this out.
stefan
Expert
In our part of the world 1000 = 1.000 (we use a "," for the decimals)
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Rick Thompson
Expert
For what it is worth.... I backed up for years on CD's. My work is based on existing plans, so back up is my life I also work out of the house. The 2 issues I have are HD crash's and fire. I now have 2 small external firewire HD's. I rotate them every month or so between work and a safty deposite box. The firewire will check and back up 10 gig's in a few min. It is so much easier and faster than CD's, I find I backup everything now... including the user system Library. I also back-up regularly now. It cost more to get set up, but is so much easier and safer (the off site rotation) than burning CD's.
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Stephen Dolbee
Booster
Matthew wrote:
I do not recommend CD-RW disks (or writing multi-session CD-Rs). They are slower to write/rewrite, are more expensive, and I have heard (from local experts) that they are unreliable.
Matthew,
I have found that CD-RWs are not quite as reliable as CD-Rs too. However, it just seems the logical choice when jobs constantly need changes and modifications. Don't you end up with several CDs of the same job all at different stages? How do you keep them organized?

Just wondering.
Steve
AC19(9001), 27" iMac i7, 12 gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb, OS 10.12.6
Anonymous
Not applicable
Stephen wrote:
Matthew,
I have found that CD-RWs are not quite as reliable as CD-Rs too. However, it just seems the logical choice when jobs constantly need changes and modifications. Don't you end up with several CDs of the same job all at different stages? How do you keep them organized?

Just wondering.
Steve
Ordered by project, date and phase of work and kept in a drawer, box or safe. This varies by client. I keep mine in a drawer unit of my own making. I am thinking of getting a fireproof box for record sets, or maybe a safe deposit box at my bank. I keep the CDs in sleeves since even the slim jewel cases take up too much room. Archival backups to CD I just stack in the muffin tins they come in.
Djordje
Ace
For daily backups, or transferring (taking work home, beuh) the best way is the USB SmartDrive or whatever is the commercial name - 256MB or more, usually enough.

I found the DVD-R readability problematic. Probably will iron itself out in time.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen