Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Barell Vaulted Roofs

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi All.
I have a question I think I know the answer to.

When I do a barrel vaulted roof, or any roof structure with many different pitches I dont allways want to see the seperate roofs in plan or elevation.

If I have a sloped roof i.e. on a tower, I dont want to see the 20 lines of different pitches any where, just the outline of the slope.

So I think the only way I can deal with that is to cover it, turn off the layer, or mask it, and then draw it in 2D.
Does anyone know of a different way?
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable
No!
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
You could use a complex profile and apply it to walls or beams, but it depends on the situation. It may prove difficult if you have intersecting roofs. Otherwise you could make an object out of the roofs.

Both are unwanted workarounds.

Cheers,
Link.
Dwight
Newcomer
While i am with Link on the smoothest solution, you might also try turning the roof symbol lines white.... then fake-in the edges with lines.

Now let me cower from suggesting such a dumb solution.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:

Now let me cower from suggesting such a dumb solution.

This actually is my favorite, and it will work just fine, so Thank You, I don't know that I would have thought of it.

No suggestions on here are really dumb, we have to figure out someways to get this stuff done, and any suggestion, at the least, will spark ideas for others I think.
Dwight
Newcomer
Why i think that it is "dumb" is because it doesn't exploit any of the program's "intelligence." …BIM and all that…
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
I use profiler, it works well.
Just make sure the addon-on is loaded
Dwight
Newcomer
Profiler is obsolete in the Archicad 11 era where the complex profile wall extrusion is king.

Complex Profiles might have separate materials assigned to different faces and nested materials, can instantly be edited via the profile window, not to mention being able to follow any sinuous path a wall might take. Unlike pedestrian profiler.

Profiler: fuggedaboudit.
Dwight Atkinson
Djordje
Ace
If you do a barrel vault with complex profile (try it!) make sure to do it in halves. The reference line od the wall should be on the lowest point of the vault half. Then join them by the tops - non reference line.

A great bonus here is that any wall joining the ends of the reference lines will automatically be "trimmed" to the top of the vault.

Try it, it's fun!
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen