Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

curved roof with ribbed profile?

Anonymous
Not applicable
is it possible to use complex profiler with barrel vaulted roof, to create an extrusion to make a roof like this?

i've done barrel vaulted roofs before in archicad but not sure if it is possible to do one with an extrusion?
5 REPLIES 5
NCornia
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Since it appears 13 is the latest version you are using I recommend this workflow:

Use Complex Profile on Wall and Convert to Object and Rotate

1. Create a complex profile for use with the wall tool.
2. Draw a curved wall with the CP applied to extrude the corrugated profile along a curved path ("roof" will be on end).
3. Convert to Object and rotate "roof" to proper orientation (See: http://www.archicadwiki.com/RotateObjectInSpace ).
4. Drag and elevate into place.

One thing to consider is that the object will not be cut like a roof or shell so you will have to edit the 2D representation in the GDL script.

For users with ArchiCAD 15 and above I recommend using the Shell tool because it will be easier to edit the roof contour or "footprint"; you can add skylights and/or holes in the shell; it will project properly in plan, section and elevation; you can easily rotate the shell.

Shell Tool Method:

1. Draw the corrugated profile with polyline, line or arc tools in plan view.
2. Activate the Shell Tool and set Geometry method to Revolved and Construction method to Complex.
3. Space Click the profile from step 1.
4. Draw the axis of the center of arc rotation, parallel to the corrugated profile, at the correct distance from the profile (arc radius)
5. Define the arc angle to complete length of extrusion.
6. Rotate the completed shell along the x-axis to the proper orientation.
7. Define Shell contour to have the correct roof "footprint"
8. Drag and elevate into place.

Best regards,
Nicholas Cornia
Technical Support Team - GRAPHISOFT North America
ARCHICAD on Twitter
Tutorials
GRAPHISOFT Help Center
Anonymous
Not applicable
many thanks for the reply, i am using archicad 15.

unfortunately i dont really understand steps 4-6 of the Shell tool method, could you please explain further?

also in Step 3, it comes up asking "enter extrusion vector length", how do i work this out?
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
percybigun wrote:
is it possible to use complex profiler with barrel vaulted roof, to create an extrusion to make a roof like this?
i've done barrel vaulted roofs before in archicad but not sure if it is possible to do one with an extrusion?
You might find this method useful. The tools create standard GDL, and allow you to continue rotating, cutting, bending, or twisting after the shape is made.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Software Engineer Speckle Systems
Anonymous
Not applicable
i can get it to work with complex profiler, i am struggling to get it to work with the shell tool, the shell tool is not put together very well and doesnt make alot of sense.

if it is possible to do this shape with the shell tool, would i be able to trim walls to the shell? if not i wont bother trying any more, i get the impression the shell tool is a bit of a waste of space lol
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
You can trim walls with shell.

To make the shell use the revolved method with detailed construction method. Check the reference guide (under help) for revolved shells with a freely defined input.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5