Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Beam Clean-Ups to meet properly?

rob2218
Enthusiast
how do I get the two beam objects with different custom profiles to meet properly at the corners (see diagram)? I have a beam that is sloping upwards with a certain custom profile (under the pitched overhang) and I have another beam objects with a different custom profile (similar to first) also under the overhang as a decorative molding on the outside of the roof.
How do I get them fillet themselves properly at their corners so the clean up cleanly and nicely??

Roof-overhang-detail-small.jpg
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
5 REPLIES 5
Erika Epstein
Booster
If they have different profiles, how are you expecting them to meet?
If the sloped one dies into the back of the horizontal one, then stretch your sloped one just to the back of the horizontal one.
Or vice versa.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
rob2218
Enthusiast
Not really sure I understand your comment?
Of course they are going to have different profiles. One profile resides in the area under the overhang where the roof edge is flat (horizontal at 0 degrees) to the ground. that's the one that is sloping.

The other molding profile has a profile shape that is contingent upon how the roof overhang causes the top of the profile shape to be at an angle.....therefore, i reiterate once more...."of course they will have different profiles"....

I could, perhaps, as you suggest, make them the "same" profile and allow the one that has the angled top to be 'not right' in it's appearance...but then what would be the purpose of drawing a profile that is not correct if only for the sake of making them meet at the corners?

keep in mind that one beam with a custom profile is sloping upward at an angle (the one with the flat top) while the other beam profile is completely horizontal.

I'm sure Graphisoft must have come across this situation before. it's a common, VERY COMMON, design feature in many designes....to have a molding outside of the exterior wall right under the roof overhang traveling all along the perimeter of the house.....
Erika wrote:
If they have different profiles, how are you expecting them to meet?
If the sloped one dies into the back of the horizontal one, then stretch your sloped one just to the back of the horizontal one.
Or vice versa.
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
Anonymous
Not applicable
rob2218 wrote:
Not really sure I understand your comment?
Of course they are going to have different profiles. One profile resides in the area under the overhang where the roof edge is flat (horizontal at 0 degrees) to the ground. that's the one that is sloping.

The other molding profile has a profile shape that is contingent upon how the roof overhang causes the top of the profile shape to be at an angle.....therefore, i reiterate once more...."of course they will have different profiles"....

I could, perhaps, as you suggest, make them the "same" profile and allow the one that has the angled top to be 'not right' in it's appearance...but then what would be the purpose of drawing a profile that is not correct if only for the sake of making them meet at the corners?

keep in mind that one beam with a custom profile is sloping upward at an angle (the one with the flat top) while the other beam profile is completely horizontal.

I'm sure Graphisoft must have come across this situation before. it's a common, VERY COMMON, design feature in many designes....to have a molding outside of the exterior wall right under the roof overhang traveling all along the perimeter of the house.....
And I think you'll find a builder would use the same profile for both, leaving a small void above the horizontal trim. Some cutting / filling (or extending) is going to be necessary as they will never mitre correctly anyway.

I think what Erika is suggesting is that you are asking the software to guess what you want to do. You'd do well to lose some of the attitude.

As a test try extending the profiles beyond each other and use SEO with "Intersection" option selected, see what you get as a result.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Please see this thread. It deals with this issue
of rake and eave moldings.
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=103276&highlight=raking+molding#103276
Peter Devlin
Anonymous
Not applicable
Check if you have the beams in the same layer or in the layers with the same number of intersection.