Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Beam (Wall, Column) > Profile

Anonymous
Not applicable
How it can be corrected?

round_.gif
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable
Is it just the preview in the pop-up that you have problems with or is the profile not correct in the plan and model as well?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Try... small diameter, for example = 20 mm.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Beart

Go into the Profile Manager select the round beam and duplicate then edit the fill to the 20 mm. Store the new profile with new name.

Brian
Anonymous
Not applicable
It must be to do with the small diameter. All elements are ultimately represented as polygons (the smoothing is an illusion of the rendering process). As fast as the machines are they still have to keep the polygon count down. I don't know any way to adjust this in the profiles.

You could also use a library part which will give you control over the faceting. There should be a simple cylinder in the library.

я не понимаю русского. (So forgive me if the noun declension is wrong.) Nor do I know the russian library, but in the US it is in Special Construction > Basic Shapes

If you don't have one, it only takes a couple lines of code:

3D Script:

Resol 16 ! the number of facets to descibe the circle
roty 90 ! to make the beam horizontal on the X axis
Cylind beam_length, beam_radius ! you will need to set up these parameters (or use the default A & B)

2D Script:

Project2 3, 270, 2 ! creates a hidden line top view in plan
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry about my answer I didn't test what would happen with something that small. I should think before I type!!!
Anonymous
Not applicable
BAS wrote:
Beart

Go into the Profile Manager select the round beam and duplicate then edit the fill to the 20 mm. Store the new profile with new name.

Brian
Nothing came out of it. No dice.
Dwight
Newcomer
The problem is that the user has made a cylinder smaller than Archicad's tools can automatically smooth. This can be done without resorting to cumbersome GDL scripting or the limits of the library cylinder.

The way to make a tiny, smooth cylinder - or any tightly-rounded elements - as a Complex Profile is to fool the smoothing routine by magic wanding the circle with the line tool and then make the profile-defining fill:

-- magic wand parameters: use "linear segments" and say, 18 or more segments....
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
That problem remained open.
PS. BAS Sorry. Thanks Dwight.