Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

CLONED FOLDERS - vs. regular "Folders"

rob2218
Enthusiast
is there a way to turn a "non" cloned folder into a CLONED folder? or do I have to simply create "cloned folders" out of my regular folder structure?

Also......with regards to the advantages of a "CLONED FOLDER" vs. a "NON-CLONED FOLDER".......
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
You cannot turn a non-clone folder into a clone folder. It is easy enough to create a clone folder.

I just learned about clone folders in the past year, and they can be very useful for SOME applications. For example, lets say you want to create a folder for all your interior elevations. By creating a clone folder, all the interiors, even the ones you add later, will automatically go from the project map to the view map into the new clone folder.

You can create layer combinations, pen sets, model view options, etc. specific to the interior elevations and set that setting once at the clone folder level. Any new interiors you create will be added to that folder with all the correct settings. This eliminates the problem of forgetting to drag "stuff" over from the project map to the view map.

I do not find this useful for the details. I like to group my details into folders like "framing details", "flashing details", "fireplace details" etc. By having a clone folder, it puts all the details into that one folder, and it gets hard to navigate efficiently.

A few words of caution: if you delete something from a clone folder it deletes the whole clone folder. It's not hard to recreate, but can be annoying.
Anonymous
Not applicable
An image of my view map showing clone folders and non-clones (note the different icons).
view map.jpg
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
I enjoy using clone folders also... I find it useless for PLANS, but use it for almost everything else... Section, Elevations, DETAILS and Interiors... Even Worksheets and 3d Docs....

Again, it just automates the VIEW CREATION step and predefines the attributes (scale, pens, etc)...

Regarding DETAILS, yes it doe become a LONG list of items, but I've been using a 6 character system to group them Alphabetically....
DOR001
EXT001
FDN001
FRM001
ROF001
WIN001

etc. etc...

This produces a nice list in alphabetical order.
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
rob2218
Enthusiast
Duane,
don't understand why you find the cloned folders for "PLANS" useless...that's the one in particular i'd see MOST useful. if you create another story or delete or rename or move stories..then cloned folder adjusts.

Also, you can have different "floor plans" for different deciplines...such as "Architectural Plan", "Structural Plan" , "Electrical Plans", "Plumbing plans"...etc....with each cloned folder structure having it's own Penset as well as all the other layer combo, and other settings associated to the "type" of plan you will be using.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
rob2218
Enthusiast
Here's what our cloned folder structure looks like.
CLONED-FOLDERS.jpg
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
rob2218 wrote:
Duane,
don't understand why you find the cloned folders for "PLANS" useless...that's the one in particular i'd see MOST useful. if you create another story or delete or rename or move stories..then cloned folder adjusts.

Also, you can have different "floor plans" for different deciplines...such as "Architectural Plan", "Structural Plan" , "Electrical Plans", "Plumbing plans"...etc....with each cloned folder structure having it's own Penset as well as all the other layer combo, and other settings associated to the "type" of plan you will be using.
I probably should have mentioned that most of my projects are single story residential projects. I tend to have ONE floor for the PLAN and about 4 or 5 others for organizational purposes... So I end up with too many unused views in the clones.

Were I doing multi level buildings, I would probably find them more useful.
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
rob2218
Enthusiast
Yes...that makes sense then.
if you're percentage of the project types lends itself to single story buildings...sure...then that works.

We have here in the office our typical renovation is normally a "below ground" cellar (basement level), then a first floor, second floor, attic level, then the roof level.

so we need multiple plan types for all different stories and all different decipline types.....
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
aahatimo
Newcomer
Eric Bobrow has an excellent 'cloned folders' article:
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=30531&sid=e01050c5786397345e8a00f68b91c4ae
tim hanagan
aaha! design studio durango, co
27" retina 5k iMac 4ghz i7 os 10.13.6 m395x 4 mb, 32gb ram, 512 gb ssd ac 22 current
15" retina mbp 2.6ghz 1mb 16gb ac 22 current[/size]
rob2218
Enthusiast
Eric's article is a good one.
On another note......since the viewmap targets the first placed sheet it's put on...then...how would the "cloned views" work if they are placed on multiple sheets???
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23