cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Change a 3D setting of a 2D View?

Stumped:

I've got elevation views. When I defined them, I had 'Transparency in Shading' ON in the 3D window settings. This is a mistake, and I would like to modify the views with the fix. Trouble is, when you go to the settings of the views, the 3D settings are grayed out.

So we have a 2D view with a 3D setting stuck to it, with no access to the 3D settings. (Not that the setting shouldn't be saved, but we should talk about whether SEs should be governed by 3D window settings. Another time.)

I never missed that redefine button until now! I thought I could trick it by going to the view settings with the 3D window in front, but no luck. Any suggestions?
James Murray

Archicad 27 • Rill Architects • macOS • OnLand.info
10 REPLIES 10
henrypootel
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
I have reported this to GS and they have acknowledged it as a bug.
Hopefully be fixed soon.
The only workaround is to change the 3D window setting and then make a new view(as opposed to modifying a current one).
Josh Osborne - Central Innovation

HP Zbook Studio G4 - Windows 10 Pro, Intel i7 7820HQ, 32Gb RAM, Quadro M1200
henrypootel wrote:
make a new view
That's what I was afraid of...Thanks for the info.
James Murray

__archiben
Booster
James wrote:
Stumped:

I've got elevation views. When I defined them, I had 'Transparency in Shading' ON in the 3D window settings. This is a mistake, and I would like to modify the views with the fix. Trouble is, when you go to the settings of the views, the 3D settings are grayed out.

So we have a 2D view with a 3D setting stuck to it, with no access to the 3D settings. (Not that the setting shouldn't be saved, but we should talk about whether SEs should be governed by 3D window settings. Another time.)

I never missed that redefine button until now! I thought I could trick it by going to the view settings with the 3D window in front, but no luck. Any suggestions?
i stumbled on this too . . . but even though the 3D settings are greyed out, they do change if you use the 'get current window's settings' button . . .

so - if you go to the 3D window settings whilst in sect/elev window, then click on your view, it can be 'redefined' . . . although in a more roundabout way than we were used to in 9.

HTH
~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
~/archiben wrote:
James wrote:
Stumped:

i stumbled on this too . . . but even though the 3D settings are greyed out, they do change if you use the 'get current window's settings' button . . .

so - if you go to the 3D window settings whilst in sect/elev window, then click on your view, it can be 'redefined' . . . although in a more roundabout way than we were used to in 9.

HTH
~/archiben
And you've tried this have you mate?

I'll have to take notes - I've not never had any success with it and have just recreated the views. The uncertain integration of 2D & 3D settings needs a lot more ironing out. The same thing occurs in reverse to a lesser extent - 3D views don't actually use Model View Options but they are assigned anyway. Some legacy options prove difficult to get rid of.

Cheers,
Link.
~/archiben wrote:
if you go to the 3D window settings whilst in sect/elev window, then click on your view, it can be 'redefined' . . . although in a more roundabout way
I was so pleased to see this answer...but I can't make it go. I've tried these steps:

Activate SE view
3D Win Settings - Trans Off
Rebuild SE: Trans appears off
Highlight view - View Settings - Get Current - OK (SE is frontmost)
SE window rebuilds by itself: Trans is back on.

OR

Activate SE view
3D Window (OpenGL)
Highlight view - View Settings - Get Current - OK (3D is frontmost)
Close 3D win
Rebuild SE: Trans appears off
Activate SE view: Trans on
(Note: The view's zoom was changed, apparently by the 3D)

OR

Activate SE view
3D Window (OpenGL)
Back to SE - SE window rebuilds by itself: Trans appears off

OR

Activate SE view
3D Window (OpenGL)
3D Win Settings - Trans Off - 3D rebuilds
Back to SE - rebuilds by itself: Trans appears off

OR

3D Window (OpenGL)
3D Win Settings - Trans Off - 3D rebuilds
Open SE Win (not view): Trans appears off

They need to offer direct control of the 3D settings as they do the 2D.
James Murray

Link wrote:
Cheers,
Link.
Oh, hey Link. I didn't see you, I was, ah, busy...
James Murray

Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
James wrote:
Link wrote:
Cheers,
Link.
Oh, hey Link. I didn't see you, I was, ah, busy...
...trying to find that ever-elusive last 20% of functionality again!

Cheers,
Link.
henrypootel
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
The bug is that the method Ben describes should work, but it doesn't.
At the moment the only way to make it work, is to create a new view(which is really annoying if you use clone folders).
Josh Osborne - Central Innovation

HP Zbook Studio G4 - Windows 10 Pro, Intel i7 7820HQ, 32Gb RAM, Quadro M1200
__archiben
Booster
henrypootel wrote:
The bug is that the method Ben describes should work, but it doesn't.
At the moment the only way to make it work, is to create a new view(which is really annoying if you use clone folders).
i saw the greyed-out 'Redefine Image Settings with Current' checkbox spring to life and figured that the view was being updated. you'd think by now i'd have learnt to check that it did actually work as planned. doh!

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup