Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Corrogated Metal Facade

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

I'm struggling trying to make a wall with a vertical corrogated metal rainscreen. There's a 6' concrete stem wall with c-section steel spacers that the rainscreen is supposed to attach to. I can draw the concrete wall and spacers with the complex profile just fine, but how do I draw the corrogated metal rainscreen in the vertical direction? In the complex profile, the section would reflect just two vertical parallel lines (inner corrogated curve line, and outer corrogated curve line).

Any help with this would be great.

I've looked into the "Objective" cadimage plugin for this, but I'm not sure if it's necessary.

Best,
Aaron
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
Can you post up a image of what you trying to do?
Anonymous
Not applicable
It depends how much detail you want to go in to, and for what purpose - close up rendering or distant rendering / basic construction drawings.

The simplest would be to model your complex profile with the overall thickness of the corrugated sheet, and assign a material that shows a corrugated metal texture in 3D and a fill pattern in elevations to represent the corrugations.

Modeling an actual corrugated panel would produce a huge number of polygons which could slow down regeneration considerably. There is a "Profiled sheet" object in the AC Library (at least in AC16, have not looked elsewhere) which will do this. It would not be part of your complex profile though, so would need correcting if the wall moved. Or there are wall cladding accessory objects available such as Cadimage's Coverings tool which will model a cladding that is associated with the wall. Again, lots of polygons.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm trying to achieve the attached result, minus the column. I'm not using it for rendering. Does this help? I appreciate the responses btw.
photo (10).JPG
Karl Ottenstein
s2art gave you the best answer. Since complex profiled walls only extrude horizontally, that won't help you. The cadimage accessory ($$) is the only clean solution. Using the metal object from the library would require you to cut the holes for windows/doors/etc and handle corner situations... which can be more easily done by sizing the object and converting to a morph (or just creating a morph) ... but the result will not be dynamic if your design changes, requiring a lot of manual re-editing. The cadimage accessory will dynamically adjust as your walls and openings change.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Maybe this is too easy or there's something I'm not getting but I would just draw the corregated panel in plan view with lines and arcs then magic wand a wall on the line.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Zero: I tried that, but I get a bunch of small arc walls, not one unified corrugated wall. Apparently, ArchiCad isn't smart enough to handle curved vertical walls, or am I missing something? Each control point in the corrugated wall becomes a split point.

This is also missing the point that I want the corrugated screen to be a "part" of the wall, which includes the c-section spacers and stem wall, per below, so I can uniformly apply it to other areas without using morphs at all.

s2art: I tried applying a Mtl_corrugated texture to the 2" space that comprises the corrugated screen in the complex profile editor, but how does that translate into a series of vertical lines for my elevation view? Do I have to make my Elevations independent drawings, and then edit in 2d? That seems to defeat the purpose of using the wall tool if I can't have it auto-update correctly as a rebuilt building element.
Anonymous
Not applicable
aveclaudenum wrote:
s2art: I tried applying a Mtl_corrugated texture to the 2" space that comprises the corrugated screen in the complex profile editor, but how does that translate into a series of vertical lines for my elevation view? Do I have to make my Elevations independent drawings, and then edit in 2d? That seems to defeat the purpose of using the wall tool if I can't have it auto-update correctly as a rebuilt building element.
What version of AC?

In Archicad 16 or earlier just assign a fill to the material (or to a "surface" in AC17 I think) consisting of vertical lines at the required spacing to represent the corrugations in Elevations. Have Vectorial 3D Hatching turned on in Elevation settings. In my example below my lines are at 80mm centres.
Anonymous
Not applicable
A quick example...
Screen shot 2013-12-04 at 1.29.36 PM.png
Anonymous
Not applicable
thanks s2art. I'll try this out tomorrow, when i have more time. forgive my newbie abilities!