Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Creating a Module

Anonymous
Not applicable
I need to understand the capabilities of the module function. As I understand the module is the equivalent of Autocad's block. However it doesn't seem to function the same. After placing the module I can move it rotate etc. but once it is released it doesn't function as a group of entities. What's worse is that if you perform additional work in the drawing you cannot delete this block. You can undo back and remove it but that's not practical. Am I missing something here????
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable
There is no direct equivalent of an AutoCAD block in ArchiCAD. Library parts and modules each have some of the characteristics of block but neither have all of them. They also have many qualities that blocks do not have. In ArchiCAD, library parts do most of what people use blocks for in AutoCAD (symbols and such). To oversimplify, blocks have layers like modules but are instanced more like library parts.
Barry Kelly
Robert wrote:
As I understand the module is the equivalent of Autocad's block.
I would say a module is a bit more like an XREF - in fact you can use XREFs in Archicad just like you can in Autocad (or so I have been told).
Robert wrote:
However it doesn't seem to function the same. After placing the module I can move it rotate etc. but once it is released it doesn't function as a group of entities. What's worse is that if you perform additional work in the drawing you cannot delete this block. You can undo back and remove it but that's not practical. Am I missing something here????
Make sure that your grouping is "Enabled" and not "Suspended".
Then you can select the module as a whole and move, rotate, delete it as necessary.

To make changes to the module you must go back to the original source file, open and edit that.
Then update your hotlinked modules in the files that you have placed them.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you Matt and Barry for your quick response. My mistake was that my group wasn't enabled. Functions perfectly now.

Keep up the great work!
Bob