Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Curved SPLINE walls?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is it possible to convert a spline into a wall?
I have organic splines in plan view which I need to convert into walls. Is it possible in ArchiCAD? I don't want to go tracing it manually with arc/circle wall tool, since I don't want to destroy the light organic feel in the spline contour.

Thank you in advance!

(I've good AutoCAD knowledge, just switched to ArchiCAD 9 EDU - I like it!)
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Vytis

Yes it is possible.

Draw your spline in plan, switch to the wall tool and Space-clic your spline and you "organic wall" will appear…
If your want more complex appearance, organic in plan and in section see this topic http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=7785&highlight=spline+wall#7785
Anonymous
Not applicable
That's superb!
I'm completely impressed! WOW! Just exactly what I needed! And works so incredibly fast. Thank you for your very quick response.
That is just so helpful!
Anonymous
Not applicable
By the way,
Is it possible to make part of the wall curved, but built of glass (like in the first sketch I attached)? I prefer frameless windows, can ArchiCAD subdivide them in segments (let's say 2m width each)? I tried the same space-click with a window tool, but it didn't work, and when I started putting windows manually, the process is totally uncontrollable, and displays me the message "The window extends behind the wall, would you like to keep it?" And I get just a bunch of messy windows everywhere (see attachment 2).

Thank you very much in advance! The whole process seems so much faster in ArchiCAD than it is in AutoCAD (when you know how to use it)!
Anonymous
Not applicable
This illustrates my problems with placing windows on a curved wall...
Anonymous
Not applicable
probably the best way to do this would be to do the glazing as a wall

just magic wand (space click) another (thin) wall onto the spline, but before doing this...

go to tools>magic wand settings... and change to
magicwand.png
Anonymous
Not applicable
Amazing! What a brilliant piece of software and brilliant people here on this forum! I can continue working on the idea without worrying about its realisation. I can basically complete my building with these functions you described, with minor tweaks needed. Wonderful.
Thank you very much, Frédéric and Bill!
Anonymous
Not applicable
By the way, while this "dividing into sections" with a magic wand feature works perfectly, I am wondering if it's possible (I'm going towards perfection) to make these sections separate, or at least mark this in the plan view (like in the attached image) - I only need this for graphical representation of separate sheets of glass in plan view. Is it also possible to make gaps between these sheets? This would be perfect, and I believe it's possible, but in any way, is just a minor inconvenience.

Thanks again!
Anonymous
Not applicable
don't think there's any simple way

best i can come up with is create a new layer (eg glass2) with a different intersection priority number and assign alternate sheets of glass to this layer

bill
Anonymous
Not applicable
That's fine, thanks Bill.
Cheers!