cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Curved Window Trim

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm interested to hear how other people would go about making this trim around the front door & windows above. (See screenshots below) I have a curved wall in the foyer, and then an arched window within that wall. I need to make a custom trim around similar to the other trims on the other windows on the house.

Normally the window is on a flat wall and I just create a series of slabs at the different heights and then convert it to a morph and rotate up onto wall. Just not sure you can make a trim that same way and have it curving in 2 directions.

Would you still make the vertical parts (from front door up to where arch starts) like description above and then for the curved arch part make it as a slab following the curved wall, just at a taller height than the vertical arch and do an SEO for the window area? Or does anyone have another idea?

Mester_Foyer_Rendering.jpg
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello, this can be done with the shell tool.
Right now I don't have the time to explained step by step, but the idea is simple, create a extruded shell next to the wall then in elevation use the create hole in shell and define contour functions to create what you need.
You can see the Shell videos in the archicad youtube channel to learn all these tricks of the shell tool (which is a very flexible tool).
Anonymous
Not applicable
You can also use a series of slabs to cut other slabs using the "Solid Elements Operation Tool". The slabs which will cut out the window and door openings can be on a separate layer than can be turned off (to keep from showing up in the final product).
1.) In Plan view, draw 3 slabs the full height of the trim. A.) Slab #1 will be a rectangle in plan view that is wide enough and deep enough to meet the needed size of trim. B/C.) 2 more slabs will be drawn in Plan view to cut out the unnecessary part of the trim (these 2 pieces will be on a layer to turn off after this is all done. (See Photo #1).
2.) 2 more slabs will be used to cut out the window and door in Isometric or perspective view as shown in Photo #2. These 2 slabs will also be on the layer to turn off so that the final trim is the only thing left showing.

HTH.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you so much! That is genius and worked wonders. I've never used the shell tool, but after watching the youtube videos it's a pretty neat tool that I'll have to look into more.