Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Custom Railings

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

I try to make this custom railing, but I am completely stuck. How can I make a railing like this based on the 2D drawings in AutoCAD?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Edit:
My system
- Windows XP
- ArchiCAD 13
- AutoCAD 2007

Edit2: It's called railing, not fence..

fence.jpg
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable
I've attached a screenshot of how it looks like when I save the object from top view and try to insert it in another project.

The object is still horizontal, and the length is messed up. The length I can just edit it in objects properties, so that is OK..

But how save it in vertical position?

Could someone please explain to me step-by-step?

Edit:
Erwin, thank you for telling me about the scales, I'll have use for that on other projects. For this one I am going to make photorealism
David Maudlin
Rockstar
jevingen wrote:
But how save it in vertical position?
jevingen:

Set your Projection Settings as in the attached image. The result you see in the 3D Window when saving as a library part should be what you expect when the object will be viewed in the plan view.

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
When you finished this object you can use in this free object.
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Alternatively you could try this:
1. select the object in floorplan view
2. go to 'File>Libraries and objects>Open object' (CTRL+SHIFT+O if your hotkeys are the same as mine)
3. go to '3D Script'
4. insert this code at the top:
ROTY 90
5. check the object in '3D View'
6. if it doesn't look right try inserting this in '3D Script' instead:
ROTX 90
7. hit the save button
8. go to Library Manager and hit Reload (might not be needed, but just to be sure the changes are updated)

This will rotate your object 90 degrees along the x or y axis (whichever works). If it looks upside down for some reason, just make it -90.

If you can't edit the script, you need to save your object again and go to 'Options' and check 'editable GDL script'. I think it defaults to non-editable for some reason.

One last note: you will have to go through all these steps each time you have changed the design. This is another reason why I feel that custom prfoiles are vastly superior from a workload point of view. Editing a 2d cross-section/elevation is a lot less tedious.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you so much! I actually tried both methods with success
I used ROTX 90 to make the object "stand up" and Davids method to make the 2D symbol!

Excellent!