Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Custom beam problems

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have a bit of a problem. I am trying to produce some wavey edged boarding on the side of this bike shed, I have tryed several different techniques to achive the right effect all without sucsess.

I have no problem producing a beam with a wavey edge at the bottom, which i did using a complex profile. The problem is that i need the board to be at a slight angle from the vertical so that the boards will overlap. If i use the angle change option on 'beams', it angles it from one end to the other. Which is wrong.

I have also tryed to veiw the board at a slight angle from the top view in 3d window and save it as a GDL object, but it doesn't let me

It got to the stage where i just did it with a straight edge at the bottom. I hope someone can help with this anoying problem
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
another pic, don't know how to post 2?
Anonymous
Not applicable
waved in illustration or? then I would recommend softwares like Adobe Photoshop or similar.
3d model to be waved? I can't easily tell you how to do, but it will be more work than it's worth.
Anonymous
Not applicable
i want the model to be wavey, i'm sure it will be hassle but would quite like to do it as i have had simular problems with other drawings.
Dwight
Newcomer
make the board as a tilted wall and use a Solid Element Operation to trim it wavy.

You''ll need to fabricate a wavy trimmer from a slab saved as a GDL object - from the side in the 3D window.

Or more simply as a complex profile perpendicular to the wall.
Dwight Atkinson
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
vanden wrote:
I am trying to produce some wavey edged boarding on the side of this bike shed, I have tryed several different techniques to achive the right effect all without sucsess. The problem is that i need the board to be at a slight angle from the vertical so that the boards will overlap.
This is easy to do with OBJECTiVE. You can create a profiled object with the wavy edge you need, and then tilt it over to the angle you need with OBJECTiVE's 3D rotate tool. You can also cut the profiles to suit the context, e.g. the raked end in example 1 (attached image). The cross-section through the model is quite clean too (example 2). It is also possible to bend the boards to curves (example 3).

For more info, take a look at http://www.encina.co.uk/objective.html
wavy.jpg
Ralph Wessel BArch
Software Engineer Speckle Systems
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Dwight, i have achieved the desired effect with that. Only thing is the wavey slab i made has to stay in place, i have put its layer to hidden and that seems to work, is there any other way of doing it so the slab is no longer present?

Thxs also ralph, objective looks like a very useful tool, i will give it a go
Dwight
Newcomer
That is the trick.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
coolio 😉
Anonymous
Not applicable
Just i thought i would show my efforts, OBJECTiVE is a lovely addition to archiCAD, wish i had discovered it sooner. All the stuff i could never do is now achievable
wavey..jpg