Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Custom shape stairs

Anonymous
Not applicable
First of all, sorry for creating yet another thread about this, but the tips in other ones dont seem to help me.

My problem is as follows:

1) Staircase drafted on the floor plan

2) Polyline-created shape filled in with line of travel drawn

3)Error

Am I doing something wrong or does it just simply dislike the shape?
Going to have a hassle creating this with slabs.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
"Create Stair Using Selection" is not user friendly. Line of travel must not ends on adjacent edge of the fill polygon.

Use the Stair tool to create linear Stairs (without railings!), then make 2 slabs for SEO (Subtraction) and Save the Stairs as OBJECT from 3D Window (viewed from TOP).
Stairs_SEO.jpg
James B
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
AC15 you could use the shell tool to create the stair profile and extrude.
Then use the "define shell contour" to define the footprint shape of the stair. This will show correctly in plan, SEO won't display correctly with the stair tool unfortunately.
You're other option is to create the stairs out of slabs etc, and then save the selection as your own object or module.
James Badcock
Graphisoft Senior Product Manager
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks, but the whole purpose of me asking was to figure out how to do this using this custom stair tool >.< My line of travel definitely wasn't on the adjacent side of the polygon, so I simply dont get the error.

At the moment I made a custom profile, which I then SEO'd
Too long and complicated imo.

Don't even know what to do with the railing... supposed to be a balustrade

James B: I'm using AC14
James B
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Beatriss wrote:
At the moment I made a custom profile, which I then SEO'd. Too long and complicated imo.
James B: I'm using AC14
Sorry, AC15 isn't out yet so doesn't help you
The railing I'd suggest the roof tool, as you can angle it and curve it in plan. Might help. I don't know if there's an existing library object you could use.
If only the beam tool could curve...
James Badcock
Graphisoft Senior Product Manager
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Beatriss:

I think the problem with this stair is that the starting edge is curved rather than straight. Another option is to change the bottom curve to a straight edge, create the stair (which can have the railing and other attributes you need), then add a slab with a curved edge over the first tread to get your shape.

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
NCornia
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
David is correct about the curved edge.
Beatriss wrote:
On the balustrade side of things, there was an article posted recently on the subject in the ArchiCAD Wiki

http://www.archicadwiki.com/ComplexProfileBalustrades

http://www.archicadwiki.com/TrussMakerBalustrades

HTH
Nicholas Cornia
Technical Support Team - GRAPHISOFT North America
ARCHICAD on Twitter
Tutorials
GRAPHISOFT Help Center
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks, that's very useful. Was trying to apply the complex profile to a column instead of a wall. Will try this out later if I have time

Ended up using one of the library columns for my balusters + SEO'd ramp for the railing itself.

NCornia wrote:
David is correct about the curved edge.

On the balustrade side of things, there was an article posted recently on the subject in the ArchiCAD Wiki

http://www.archicadwiki.com/ComplexProfileBalustrades

http://www.archicadwiki.com/TrussMakerBalustrades

HTH