Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Dragging View onto Second Sreen

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have just re-started using ArchiCAD (16), having used release 11 some years ago. I have two screens, but am unable to drag a view onto the second. I've searched the Help menus and online, but can't find a solution.

I presume the Work Environment is locked?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
I don't think you can separate the child windows from the main window. You can undock the pallets and move them off the main window though. In my current setup I have three monitors. The one in front of me is the main window, the one to the left has things like my info and tool box, organizer, navigator, preview window, etc. The one to my right is for pictures, notes, pdfs or whatever.

However, I used to stretch Archicad over the three monitors way back when. The AC window was 5760x1200 in resolution. I gave it up because my video card couldn't handle it but maybe it could work for you over two monitors.
Anonymous
Not applicable
When I first used ArchiCAD, the practice used MACs and were all set up with two screens. We could drag a 3D view over onto the slave monitor and switch between the two by moving the mouse across. I'm now using a PC based system, but can work using both screens with other software.

Thank you for your advice.
Karl Ottenstein
Andrew wrote:
I have just re-started using ArchiCAD (16), having used release 11 some years ago. I have two screens, but am unable to drag a view onto the second. I've searched the Help menus and online, but can't find a solution.

I presume the Work Environment is locked?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.
The answer depends almost completely on your operating system. Please create a Profile (signature) that lists your machine, OS and AC version with any other relevant info (see mine, e.g.) - by clicking the Profile link near the top right of this page.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Karl Ottenstein
Andrew wrote:
I'm now using a PC based system, but can work using both screens with other software.
We posted at the same time. 😉 Mac Mavericks vs earlier versions of OS X have different behaviors / tips. Windows is pretty much the same across OS versions: all AC windows 'live' inside an enclosing window. You would need to stretch your main AC window to span multiple monitors to get bits of the interface onto the other monitors. Views (2D, 3D, etc) "live" in the enclosing window. However, some things do float and can be dragged without this step.

Primarily a difference between Windows and Mac OS, rather than anything special about ArchiCAD.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB