Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Easy way to add crown and floor moldings

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello all.. I am new to archicad and wanted to know if there is an easy was to connect floor molds and crown molds to walls.Right now i add the floor mold and but it usually is below my slab so i manually move it up until it looks like it is connected to the floor and wall. I have not read through the manual a lot so maybe I am missing an easy step. Also, is there an easy way to add objects on top of another object. Say a lamp on a table? Right now i sort of "eyeball" it until it looks like it sits on it.

Thanks in Advance!
Mike
7 REPLIES 7
Aussie John
Newcomer
It looks connected to your slab because you probably have used the same section fill.

You can make the moulding using the wall accessories to varying degrees of success.

You should never eyeball things in CAD. Make sure you use the coordinates. Presumably you know how high your table is, so set the lamp at that height.
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
__archiben
Booster
mykey38 wrote:
Hello all.. I am new to archicad and wanted to know if there is an easy was to connect floor molds and crown molds to walls.Right now i add the floor mold and but it usually is below my slab so i manually move it up until it looks like it is connected to the floor and wall.
presumably you know at what height you want to se the skirting, chair and/or crown moldings up and down your wall? simply set the values you need in the moldings and panels dialogue . . . archicad doesn't design it for you!

i presume that you're using the 'moldings and panels' object as an 'accessory' not just a dumb object? that way it will always be associated to your wall's attributes.
Also, is there an easy way to add objects on top of another object. Say a lamp on a table? Right now i sort of "eyeball" it until it looks like it sits on it.
as john said: never ever eyeball! use the height values of selected elements from your info box to determine the heights of new elements.

that being said - there is a limited gravity function for meshes, slabs and roofs. with gravity turned on and set to whichever type you require, the bottom height value of new elements will read the top of the mesh/slab/roof at the point the mouse is clicked. have a read of the manual.

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Djordje
Ace
Eyeballing is a nono in any CAD.

Snaps and coordinates exist, so they should be used.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thx to all... I am totally new to using any CAD software so that is why I ask such a newbie question. I will read the manual more thoroughly once I have the time. I just thought there may have been some shortcuts I was missing.
TomWaltz
Participant
Number 1 Rule of CAD: Be exact, precise, and accurate.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
That would be rules 1, 2 and 3, Tom.

My motto... "There's nothing wrong with 'perfect'". Now, if only i could live up to that.
TomWaltz
Participant
I thought rule #2 was "Know when to violate Rule #1 and get away with it" and #3 was "Do not tell anyone about rule #2 until they had been out of school about 8 years"
Tom Waltz