cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Starting August 6, 2024, TLS 1.2 will be the minimum required protocol version for Graphisoft products and services that require an online connection. Learn more…
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Elevation Fills

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is there a way to embed fills, to show up in 2D section/elevation, to a composite or complex profile wall? I am looking for ways to create the most automated drawings possible (very little added 2D elements).
Thanks,
-matt
15 REPLIES 15
TomWaltz
Participant
Fills are based off the material you assign. If you make a wall brick, it gets a brick fill. Just make sure you turn on 3D Fills in the section marker you use to create the section/elevation.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
sorry, bad explanation on my question.
surface fills, i.e., if i created a brick wall (with a complex profile) can that brick wall show the brick fill on the surface of the wall in elevation?
TomWaltz
Participant
Yep.

Each fill you place in the Profile Manager can have its own surface material. In fact, if you use the Pet Palette, you will see that each edge of each fill can have a different surface material.

The difference is that you set the surface material on the Profile Manager Palette, not in the Info Box. The idea is the same though. Select the fill in the Profile Editor window then select its material on the Profile Manager.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have a Vectorial Fill assigned to my designated material. I have the Show Vectorial Fill option checked on my On-Screen View Options clicked.
However,
I still cannot see the Fill on my section/elevation. Is there an option somewhere in the section/elevation settings? Perhaps somewhere else?

thanks again,
-matt
TomWaltz
Participant
mzinski wrote:
I have a Vectorial Fill assigned to my designated material. I have the Show Vectorial Fill option checked on my On-Screen View Options clicked.
However,
I still cannot see the Fill on my section/elevation. Is there an option somewhere in the section/elevation settings? Perhaps somewhere else?

thanks again,
-matt
Yep. It's in the section marker:
Picture 2.png
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
How do you edit elevation fills? I haven't yet mastered the art of placing them exactly the way I want them (lining up tile patterns so the cuts on either side are equal), so I need to manually edit them somehow, since showing them accurately is essential.

I've only been able to figure out how to move them, but not to add to or delete part from them.

Or, alternatively, how do you go about placing them so that the cuts are equal both left and right as well as top and bottom to start with?

Wendy
__archiben
Booster
Wendy wrote:
How do you edit elevation fills? I haven't yet mastered the art of placing them exactly the way I want them (lining up tile patterns so the cuts on either side are equal), so I need to manually edit them somehow, since showing them accurately is essential.
use the 'align 3D texture' commands. i believe they'll probably be somewhere in the 'model' menu, but i can't recall (i've modified my menus beyond recognition and have trouble remembering the default position of some of the obscurer tools . . .)

you can set both the origin and the direction of the model (vectorial) fill pattern. be warned though - i did see a post here recently about this not working in the latest patch. i haven't had a chance to investigate it myself.

HTH
~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
~/archiben wrote:
use the 'align 3D texture' commands.
Hmmm, that option is greyed out.

This is a 2D cover fill I've applied in elevation to the wall.

I would sure love to learn how to easily make these things (tile patterns) show up in both 3D and 2D views, and not disappear apparently randomly as has happened to me with this model and others. It's driving me mad. I'll think I've got a tile pattern set, and then it doesn't show in renderings, or in ortho views. Arrrggghhhh! I don't want to just see the material in the renderings; I want to see the lines that create the tile pattern as well - in both 3D and 2D views.

I remember when I first learned AC that there was some kind of option with fills that made them parametric, so that they would automatically adjust whenever the element they were applied to was adjusted. Of course, I can't figure that one out any more, either, nor can I find anything referring to it in the manual. What is it I'm thinking of? And does this work in elevation as well as in plan?

Wendy
Anonymous
Not applicable
Wendy,
We need some consistency of terms.
Cover fills show up on the plan for slabs, roofs, and meshes
when you set a cover fill for these elements in the settings dialogue.

Apparently, you are talking about a drafting fill that you are
drawing on to your elevation in the section/elevation window
and you are trying to center the fill pattern.
I have found that if you draw a rectangle shaped fill
with fill origin selected, polygon geometry, and draw
the fill starting at the center of the width of the rectangle not from
one corner you then have a five node rectangular fill with one node at
the center of the bottom or top edge which you can
use to drag the fill to where you want it.

You say you want the tile pattern to show up in the 2D and 3D views.
This implies that you want the same pattern in the same place
in the section and the 3D view. In this case you would not use
a drafting fill in the section/elevation window.
You have to assign a material to the element that has the fill pattern
you want associated with it and you have to have vectorial 3D hatching
enabled in you 3D window settings and also in your section/elevation
tool settings. If you don't have a material with the fill type you want
associated with it, you have to make one in the material settings window.

Editing the origin or direction of the vectorial 3D hatch
can only be done in the 3D window. With the element selected
go to design-> align 3D texture then select origin or direction.
"align 3D texture" is an unfortunate choice of terms since in other
contexts in AC a texture refers to a bitmap image of material surface
while the term hatch pattern or fill is used to refer to fill patterns
or fill types which is what we are talking about.
The vectorial 3D hatch only show up in the 3D window using the
internal 3D engine and does not show in renderings or open GL.

Peter Devlin