Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Extending wall [was roof] cladding

KeesW
Advocate
I have trouble creating a composite wall where the outer cladding extends below the floor on which the wall sits. This is a very common issue when wall claddings such as weatherboards or FC sheeting extends down to cover the edge of the floor framing. Using connection priorities seems a very cumbersome way to do it and doesn't always work. It would be useful if composite walls could include a parameter to allow one or more skins to extend above or below others. Am I asking too much?
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
6 REPLIES 6
sinceV6
Advocate
Hi.
It would depend a lot in the specifics you are trying to achieve. A screenshot would help, but try to think in both how it is built/assembled and how to best model what you need so you can have enough control. Additional parameters in walls for things like these would make the tool overly complex, so you can.-

1. Create a profiled beam that goes around the floor perimeter where you need to extend the cladding. With BM you could easily model the connection and have control over it.
2. Create a second wall for the outer layers that extends to your needs (just keep an eye on layer intersection group). This can work, for example, when you have a retaining wall and you need some additional skins but don't want a specific composite for it or a complex profile; but wouldn't work as nice if you use it when walls have openings (being a second wall you'd need to put empty ones).

So there are ways to get there. Thinking about solutions like in other platforms where you can explode a composite into separate skins for individual control would not be so different than the second approach.

Best regards.
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
Might be easier to just use SEO's where the Floor extent allows the "cladding" to NOT be cut when the rest is cut...

I have actually got into the habit of adding a 3rd wall this is JUST FINISH at the section of the structure...

So I've got lower wall full thk + finish... middle wall = just finish and upper wall = full thk + finish...

I get a decent model and sections are alway correct...
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
I should mention that I don't really like extending the 2nd floor walls DOWN as that throws off the WINDOW SILL / HEAD to BASE OF WALL dimensions
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
KeesW
Advocate
My subject is wrong. Should have been 'Extend wall cladding'.

Problem with adding an extra wall below the ground is aligning the surface pattern such as horizontal or vertical weatherboards. One could use the fill tool to create the correct elevations but this wouldn't help for 3D views or details.
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
David Maudlin
Rockstar
vfrontiers wrote:
I should mention that I don't really like extending the 2nd floor walls DOWN as that throws off the WINDOW SILL / HEAD to BASE OF WALL dimensions
Because of this, I now set the door & windows heads to Header to Story X rather than relative to the Wall.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Brett Brown
Advocate
Cadimages Coverings tool does this very very easily with what ever cladding you want to use.
Imac, Big Sur AC 20 NZ, AC 25 Solo UKI,