Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Guideline bug in 15?

Barry Kelly
Would you consider this a bug with the guidelines in 15?

Try to place a rectangular slab or fill from point "A" to point "B" as shown in the attached image at a 45° angle from any other point.
It is not possible to generate a guideline from any other point except the beginning point (A) of the rectangle.

Neither the keyboard shortcut of holding the mouse button and dragging works. The guide will always generate from point "A" (the user origin).

It is not a big problem as there are work-arounds of course.
Generate the guideline at point "A" and then drag it where required.
Or place a guide segment (which oddly does not snap to 45° unless you hold the "Shift" key - the intermittent snap angles also generate from point "A" still).
Or move the user origin to the point required and then generate the guideline.
And there are probably another half dozen work-arounds.

The thing is we shouldn't need to use work-arounds.
Especailly not when the guidelines work perfectly well if you draw the rectangle as an irregular shape (the user origin follows your cursor in this case - yes another work-around).
Or if you wanted to place a straight line or wall from A to B - this works fine as the user origin snaps to the new node.

Actually I just realised this is the problem.
The Graphisoft programmer has forgotten to allow the user origin to move when in rectangular mode - whether slab, fill, wall or line tool.
When set to irregular shape or single line then the user origin moves fine and the guidelines work as expected.

I vote bug!

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
3 REPLIES 3
Erika Epstein
Booster
I vote not a bug, no problem here. Just move your local origin to the point you want to generate your guideline from.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Barry Kelly
Erika wrote:
I vote not a bug, no problem here. Just move your local origin to the point you want to generate your guideline from.
Thanks Erika,
It certainly is not an important problem.
And there are some easy steps to remedy it as you say.

But the new guidelines already require one extra step compared to old versions (either keyboard shourtcut or click and drag mouse).
Don't get me wrong , I don't mind this.
In fact I prefer it to guidelines popping up all over the place.
What annoys me is that now there is a second extra step (for this rectangualar problem) in placing a user origin or performing some other work-around.

The keyboard shortcut should at least work from any node at any time - user origin or no user origin.
It used to in previous versions.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Erika Epstein
Booster
Barry,
In general I find using guidelines the slower way to work. Moving the local origin, which I can do with shortcut keys, to where I want the guidelines to generate from is fast and consistent with other ways of working in archicad.

That said, there is a known bug on the mac side about the guideline shortcut keys and this is probably the one. If you do a search there was a work around posted, I think it was to make your own shortcut key.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"