Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

HELP! Skylight tool corrupts my file

Anonymous
Not applicable
I tried to open a file today but it gave me a "Warning (Skylight Tool) Sorry - an invalid rectangle has been found" and then the file opens to a black screen. The navigator shows my saved views but when I click on them nothing ever shows up.

I was hoping I could open the file and delete the skylight and reinsert them but the whole model has disappeared.

The bpn file has the same problem.

How can I recover my file?

skylight-error.jpg
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable
Well, I ws able to do a "New and Reset" and then merge the corrupted file into it. I also used the attribute manager to overwrite the particulars into the merged file.

However, I can't figure out how to get my saved views and stories merged from the old file.

Once again I do not want spend the time to clean up this file. If anyone knows of a way to open the old file without the offending skylights then I should be able to just re-insert new skylights once the original file opens correctly. For example, opening a file without the archicad library loading.....??
Anonymous
Not applicable
If anyone knows of a way to open the old file without the offending skylights then I should be able to just re-insert new skylights once the original file opens correctly. For example, opening a file without the archicad library loading.....??
You could try temporarily moving the library to a a different location on your hard drive and then open the file and see if the file will open. The unloaded library objects will just show up as a dot so you might have to search a bit to find the skylight and delete it.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I tried moving my libraries and when loading AC asks to locate them and I clicked "done" but it still didn't load the file correctly. I even removed the "Skylight" add-on from the Add'Ons folder in AC, but that didn't work either.

No matter what I do the file loads but its just a black screen with no lines. The navigator shows the view sets but clicking on them brings nothing on the screen.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Is there a way to import "View Sets" from another pln?
Karl Ottenstein
Jeff wrote:
Is there a way to import "View Sets" from another pln?
No. Someone (Link?) may know of a trick...?

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.8, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
"Is there a way to import "View Sets" from another pln?"

couldn't you make a duplicate of the file with the view sets, delete everything and then merge your .pln

?

bill
Anonymous
Not applicable
I duplicated the file, but there is nothing to select to delete. I then tried to merge a clean version of the file that I had previously merged into a blank new file but when merging the original file with the view sets, I get the same Skylight error.

I have upploaded the file that has the skylight error onto my ftp site. Please, please someone download it and try and open the file without the skylight error. I was able to merge it into a new file but I lose all the view sets that way.

You can download the file, "Hildner" (1.3mb) from the folder titled "Skylight Error" at:
http://www.modernmagic.com/files
Erika Epstein
Booster
Jeff,
I got the same error, but continued on.
I can't yet get a 3D, but it looks like you have a 'garage object' and that is what is messing you up.

Is your model and/or module way way way far away in another galaxy to the left of the global origin? There has been documented problems with building/objects being placed far from the global origin. It used to be you didn't even place a building in anything but the positive X,Y quadrant.

That is where something keeps showing up but I can't zoom in on it.
If it is a skylight problem, it looks like well documented one with the way skylights cut holes in roofs; the upper-mostside is horizontal not vertical or perpendicular causing an inverted wedge of roof way way...galaxy.

When I selected the hotspot for a missing library part I tried 3 things.
1. put your settings on full error report and got an error of 0 seconds and no information
2. using the edit selection set button saw that there are over 150 items selected (see screen shot) so something is selected
3. Under windows, elements basic got a" wrong wall hole definition R01" error message. kept pressing continue and eventually got a short list of wall hole (only had the wall layer showing) and then a longer list (more layers showing) both started with 'GARAGE OBJECT'
If you want those reports email me privately.
I would check out the object and resave it and then retry it.
If there is a skylight in the object, try saving a version without it and see if it helps.

Hope this helps,
Perhaps someone else can take it further.

If you want the text of the
hildner editselset.jpg
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Erika Epstein
Booster
p.s.
I notice as I continue looking (no 3D yet) that you have a "hildner skylight"

see if this opens ok in a new file like testing the garage object.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"