Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

HOW TO CREATE A SKYLIGHT IN A HORIZONTAL SLAB?

Anonymous
Not applicable
IT KEEPS SEARCHING FOR AN INVLINED ROOF!!!!

I HAVE A HOLE IN A SLAB AND I WANT TO PUT AN HORIZONTAL SKYLIGHT. I CANT!! I TRIED WITH A WINDOW AND IT DOESNT PUT WINDOWS INTO SLABS!
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
Just change the slab to a roof that is set at 0°
Eduardo Rolon
…and writing in ALL CAPS is considered SHOUTING. Please don't.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
One drawback to skylights in roofs is that they align to the roof pitch even when there isn't any. Skylights can also be placed with the generic object/library part tool (the chair tool if you go by the icon). The drawback with this is the relationship (elevation, penetration) has to be established and maintained manually.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
A Skylight will only insert itself into a roof, not a slab. Like windows and doors will only insert into walls.

There should be no problem inserting a skylight into a zero pitch roof. ArchiCAD used to warn us that the pitch was too low (or high), but it was only a warning, the skylight still inserted just fine. That warning no longer exists in recent versions of ArchiCAD, thankfully.

Regarding the orientation issue, you can still alter the roof pivot line to change the direction of the skylight. And since it's a flat roof, there won't be much noticable difference apart from the cover fill and texture direction, which can both be readjusted anyway.

OKAY????!

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Link wrote:
Regarding the orientation issue, you can still alter the roof pivot line to change the direction of the skylight. And since it's a flat roof, there won't be much noticable difference apart from the cover fill and texture direction, which can both be readjusted anyway.
Unless you want them rotated in different directions. Then you have to start splitting up the roofs. Given the choice I generally prefer the less automatic, more versatile method.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew wrote:
Skylights can also be placed with the generic object/library part tool...
Excellent solution Matthew
Being able to orient different skylights in a flat roof has always been a pain, and the skylights wouldn't list properly in my Skylight Schedule...
You're technique is great!