Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Ho can i create this frame?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I need to draw a simple frame with a profile in 3d and I dont know how to do this. Attached is a 2d schetch made in paint.

Whats the best way to do this?

Frame.jpg
8 REPLIES 8
Barry Kelly
You could create a complex profile wall and model the frame laying flat on the floor.
Then select it and view it in 3D.
Use the 3D Projection Settings to view it from the top end (this is how you would want it to appear in plan).
Then save it as a GDL object.

The other option is to manually script it directly in GDL but saving as an object is easier.

Just make sure you view it in 3D as you want to see it in plan before you save it as an object.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks, but does this also work if you want to place the frame on a wall in 3d? i tried something similar with the "wall tool" but i could just do two of the sides, not the top and bottom...
Barry wrote:
You could create a complex profile wall and model the frame laying flat on the floor.
Then select it and view it in 3D.
Use the 3D Projection Settings to view it from the top end (this is how you would want it to appear in plan).
Then save it as a GDL object.

The other option is to manually script it directly in GDL but saving as an object is easier.

Just make sure you view it in 3D as you want to see it in plan before you save it as an object.

Barry.
Barry Kelly
You will create 4 walls in plan using the cut profile of the frame.
The frame will appear as if it is laying flat on the floor.
When you view it in 3D you rotate it as you want it to appear in plan then save as an object.
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
You can use the object in AC library "Architrave 01", but it´s shape is rectangular.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Another way: model a SLAB, make a hole in it with inclined edges; goto 3D View (Side View, Azimuth 90°) to saw it from the TOP SIDE; select it and save it as
an Object (3D Binary data).....menu File > Libraries and Objects > Save 3D Model As..

Now you have an object that you can placed on the Wall.
sinceV6
Advocate
If you want a parametric approach, so that you can change the profile, and keep sections/elevations clean and in sync, you can use the Roof construction objects "Block inclined" and "Post".

"Block inclined" would be top and bottom, "Post" is for sides. Then just make your profile and use it in a beam and a column. Beam and column would need to be in different intersection groups so they don't cut each other. Align everything and then SEO intersection Beam with Block inclined, and Column with Post.

Since you used intersection, only the volume used by the Roof construction objects will show, but using the complex profile, and they look great in every view. I've used this technique a lot of time with custom window moldings and it works great. Maybe someone can improve it, as I still consider it a little bit forced, but it works.

Of course, you can always save the model as a library object, and is great if you most windows are the same size, but when you have a lot of different window sizes, I've found this works better.

Hope image explains better.
roof objects SEO.jpg
Djordje
Ace
You can also use Profiler (Goodies AddOn).
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
What version of AC are you using? if AC15, what about using the shell tool? no GDL required.