Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Hole in Mesh

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi there,

I created a landscape with a mesh but have a hard time inserting a polygonal hole to insert a building. According to form and preferences (fit to user ridges etc.) the hole assumes the strangest forms but never a simple flat hole which is desired. I tried to draw the outline of the building with a line a stamp a hole with the spacebar (like I often do holes in slabs) but that doesn't work eihter... What can be done? Any idea? Thank you all!
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm not sure I understand your problem. You can punch a hole through the entire mesh just as you can through a slab or a roof.

If you want an excavation rather than a hole all the way through you need to backfill with another mesh (or slab) or use SEOs to subtract the excavated area. SEOs are also good for undercuts and sloping excavations.

The fit to ridges function sets the points at the top of the hole to match the existing terrain contours. If you want to force them all to the same elevation use the pet palette tool (in plan view). Click on a node of the hole, select the icon for setting the elevation and in the dialog enable the option to apply the setting to all nodes.
Anonymous
Not applicable
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUSw6hBkj5Y

This video show's some good tips that I hope will help with your problem.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you Matthew,
I understand and did all this but it doesn't work. A simple rectangular hole drawn into the mesh works, but a s soon as I try to add another rectangular hole or to modify the first hole the strangest elevations occur with one or more corners extruding much higher (or lower) into space. An attempt to give these corners new numerical heights also failed and besides... that can't really be it.
Maybe it's a memory problem? I also figured I might have some mesh points within the hole that could create chaos...
The landscape was created with polylines along the height lines of the plan and then stamped points on it with the spacebar which were all given the same height. This building goes over one of these polylines, the other building I shifted between two of those lines and the problem dissappeared... Strange stuff...
I'm nostalgic about Radar, 4.5 which I "played" like a piano, all with shortcuts (partly modified with ResEdit at the time...), and stuff like this I did with roofs or library elements. Never any problem and very fast. Now it all became so extremely complex. Too many options and functions. Cheers!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok, my theory of the meshpoints inside the hole proved correct: I moved these meshpoints beyond the future hole which I had drawn with a line and then conservativly "drew" the hole in the mesh (but could've probalby also punched it). Problem solved for now.
Thinking about it it's probably also asking too much that the mesh "remembers" the height of a not anymore existing meshpoint inside a hole area. So basically the area where we punch a hole should be flat or also a oblique slope of any sort but with no meshpoints inside that area...
Can you confirm this? Thanks again!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you zeropointreference! The video was also very interesting! I created the hillside road like this with SEOs. And with SEOs probably a hole with meshpoints inside it's area could also be created. Cheers, L