Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How can I model this using the shell tool?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I need a roof, barrel shaped, curved aling its horizontal axis and slanted along its long axis.

I created this shape using a wall profile, but I cannot elevate one end (even using Objective).

I know we can elevate shells, but I cannot get a horizontal curve.

Any thoughts or ideas will be of immense help.

Thanks.

RoofExample.PNG
13 REPLIES 13
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Do it out of several Shells (Extruded Shells if the profile polygons at the two ends are the same size, Ruled Shells it they are different). You can either adjust the Starting or End Angles for the Extruded Shells or you can define contours so each segment has the top contour you need and join properly to adjoining segments.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Laszlonagy; I had done of this but I suppose I was looking for an easier way out as I had a difficult time adjusting the slope and connecting the edges of the various shells.

The most difficult part I found was to bring the outer edges of the curved shells together. I was wondering of you would be kind enough to show me how by connecting two of these together.

I will also talk to Encina to see why Objective does not recognize a wall or a roof as an element that can be manipulated to give a slope. The only way I have been successful with Objective is using the curved ramp object. But I cannot get that in a barrel shape.

Regards.
Barry Kelly
If the profile at each end is the same and the long curve is constant then this could be done as a rotated shell.
The rotation point is the centre of the long axis.
All one piece and then you can free rotate in 3D to get the slope you want.

But if the end profiles are different or the long curve is not uniform then you are back to joining segments.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
solitaire wrote:
I will also talk to Encina to see why Objective does not recognize a wall or a roof as an element that can be manipulated to give a slope. The only way I have been successful with Objective is using the curved ramp object. But I cannot get that in a barrel shape.
OBJECTiVE cannot manipulate standard ArchiCAD elements like walls and slabs because their properties are set by Graphisoft and cannot be extended. Only GDL objects have this capability, and consequently that is the primary focus of OBJECTiVE.

To produce your rising barrel vault, do the following (referring to the attached image):
  • 1. First we need to create an object with the required shape. Draw a cross section through the vault using the Fill tool (you can copy/paste and item from the Profile Manager palette too).

2. Select the Fill, and click the menu OBJECTiVE > Component > New Profile.

3. In the New Profile dialog, specify that the selected fill is a Section, enter a name for the new shape object, and select a library to store the object in (Embedded is usually a good choice). Click OK, and then click on the anchor point for the shape (the position that remains constant if the shape changes - the centre of the vault is a good anchor for this shape)

4. Select the new shape object in the OBJECTiVE Tool Settings.

5. Set the Geometry Method to placement by length and angle.

6. Click on the start and end positions of the vaulted roof.

7. Select the newly placed roof and click the menu OBJECTiVE > Tools > Bend to bend it to the required curve in plan.

8. Then view the vault in elevation, select it, and click the menu OBJECTiVE > Tools > Offset to raise the end of the vault to the required height.

9. The finished shape in 3D
Ralph Wessel BArch
Software Engineer Speckle Systems
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
solitaire wrote:
Thanks Laszlonagy; I had done of this but I suppose I was looking for an easier way out as I had a difficult time adjusting the slope and connecting the edges of the various shells.

The most difficult part I found was to bring the outer edges of the curved shells together. I was wondering of you would be kind enough to show me how by connecting two of these together.
Check these two videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kppUXme_thI&list=PL1CA38C58B1DCFE58&index=20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i7mTx8jzPs&list=PL1CA38C58B1DCFE58&index=38
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
@Barry: thanks for the suggestion; I tried it but the horizonal curve gets mirrored giving me a narrow profile in the middle.

@Ralph: thanks for your time; your solution has worked and I am happy that my investment in Objective got justified. Excellent support.

@Laszlonagy: thanks for the links.
Barry Kelly
Single curved profile rotated shell that was free rotated in 3D.
Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Barry

I tried to follow your steps, but I am extremely dumb. I could not get the barrel shaped roof that is horizontal; I can only achieve a vertical profile. What sort of profile should I create in the floor plan?

I understand that this is my lack of understanding about the shell tool so can you please point me to a video that shows how to achieve this?

Thanks
Barry Kelly
This is what ist will look like in plan.
Then it is just a matter of rotating it in 3d.

I am not sure of any particular videos except for the one in Archicadwiki (also on youtube I believe).

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27