Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How do I model a glass railing?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'd like to model a railing on a sloped surface similar to the one in the pic. I tried the railing tool but in my model I don't see the panels of the railing (I don't see any panels at all, just the toprail, the outer posts and an empty space in between). The toprail has a rectangular profile in the model but I want to change it a circular one (under toprail settings - rail21 is selected which is circular in the image but rectangular in the model).
21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous
Not applicable
If I hide "segments and node" - I see the railing without any panels in the edit mode. When I go to the panels settings in the menu - the panel is not highlighted in green (and if I try to add a panel with the + button, nothing happens). All other elements of the railing (toprail, handrail, balusters, etc) are either highlighted in green or can be added manually with the plus button.
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
anto_bg:

You need to click in the panel area of the preview after clicking the "+" button.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
I am trying but nothing happens - the pointer of the mouse turns into a pen and I click in the middle of the panel area but that's it, no green panel shows up.
Lingwisyer
Guru
Do you have an inner post? It can be set to invisible, but it is required for panels as far as I know.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Barry Kelly
anto_bg wrote:
I am trying but nothing happens - the pointer of the mouse turns into a pen and I click in the middle of the panel area but that's it, no green panel shows up.
I am not sure what is happening.
In your previous image there is no panel because the "-" button is grey - meaning there is nothing to delete.
So you should be able to click the "+" button, move to where you want the panel and you should see a black pen.
Click then you should see the green panel.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
If I try to add panels, this is what happens and I don't see a panel in green:
Anonymous
Not applicable
If I want to add other elements, I can easily add them:
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Antonia Ivanova:

After clicking the "+" button and moving the cursor to the panel area in the preview window, the panel area turns grey before clicking to add the panel. Have you tried:
1. New & Reset and adding the panel in a new file?
2. Restating ArchiCAD?
3. Restarting the computer?
I don't know why this is not working for you.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
I found the root to the problem. In the railing settings under panel favorites (the top left button) my railing was set to a basic railing by default and that's why I wasn't able to add panels.
Barry Kelly
Thanks for letting us know you found the problem.
I am still unsure what was happening.
I don't see a 'Basic Railing' favourite in the template (AUS version).
No matter what favourites I pick (even the 'Blank Railing' with nothing but invisible end posts), I can still add a panel.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11