Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How many times do you have to implement a command to make it

Anonymous
Not applicable
Am I the only one this happens to? I start a command, like drag, rotate or adjust and the command doesn't start. I assume it starts and click as if I'm going to drag, rotate, adjust, etc. Since the command isn't started all I end up doing is deselecting. I find that I have to start the commmand two, three, or even FOUR times before it takes. And I have to take my eyes off the object I'm trying to manipulate in order to look at the status bar to verify that the command actually started. It's quite aggravating. It corrects itself after restarting the computer but I don't think it can possibly be the memory since we have a Gif of RAM in our computers.

Please tell me I'm not alone here. And if possible, let me in on the secret of making it work the first time.

Thanks.
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable
It's curious I have never had this problem on my Mac nor on any of my PCs. Perhaps the ThinkPad keyboard (or the IBM hardware) is more responsive. I have also used the ThinkPad with an external keyboard without problems, but it is an Apple keyboard (not your usual PC accessory).
Laszlo Kocsis
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Dear All,

Those of you who experienced this problem, please tell me if McAfee Viruscan is installed on your computers or not. It seems that ArchiCAD 8.1 conflicts with an other running program, and the data I collected so far suggest McAfee Virusscan might be the one. If we could make sure, we could fix the problem as soon as possible.

Thank you for your help.
László Kocsis

Graphisoft SE
Quality Assurance Team Leader
Djordje
Ace
László wrote:
Those of you who experienced this problem, please tell me if McAfee Viruscan is installed on your computers or not.
Nope, Norton. Not much else runs in the background. Happened to me also on a no antivirus computer at work.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Laszlo Kocsis
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
I was afraid...

If you don't mind to send me a screen capture of your installed programs list (Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs), please do it (email address below). I might find an other pattern, however, I'm not so confident now of this possibility.

thanks.
László Kocsis

Graphisoft SE
Quality Assurance Team Leader
Anonymous
Not applicable
This is a big problem. I have been dumbfounded at the lack of discussion on it, some expert users say it happens to them which is the only reason I have not thrown my keyboard out the window / started to doubt my sanity.

Sure second or third time is a charm... but you have to check every time to see if the menus have grayed out and you can proceed with your command.... or you click to drag and it just deselects... double the amount of RSI, I'm waiting for news of the class action law suit out of (the U.S.) One of the most frustrating things i have come across... really, its so pervasive.

More constructively, I am running Sophos antivirus in the background, not much else. If I have two projects open ArchiCAD is more prone to do it. It gets worse as the day goes on, and a restarts often helps a lot. Ever since 8.0. It never happens in Plotmaker.

My setup is a 2.6Ghz P4 with only 512Mb of RAM running Windows XP with current updates. ArchiCAD 8.1.

Regards Simon
Anonymous
Not applicable
I may be a bit out of place in this discussion since all my client's are using Macs these days and I haven't needed a new PC since my 2001 vintage ThinkPad. But...

As I mentioned before I have never experienced any keyboard problems in Windows. I have used both Apple and IBM keyboards with my ThinkPads (as well as the internal ones) and I also used a Dell Pentium 4 Xeon with a Dell wired keyboard heavily at a client's office for a few months about 1 1/2 years ago. I wonder if it may be a hardware related problem or perhaps something to do with USB drivers.

Has anyone tried switching keyboards?