Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How to 3D model a Nautilus shell shape?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

I need to model this fan and am kinda scratching my head as to how to go about it. the object needs to sit in 3d with the fan outlet pointing upwards towards the sky. it doesn't have to be a detailed object, just needs to have the right dimensions as it's going into a very tight duct space and I need to get the spacing and reticulation right.

my guess would be the shell tool, but I've never managed to make it do what I need it to and don't know which construction method to use either.

thanks..!
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable
oops, JPEG didn't upload. 2nd attempt: JPEG not loading. PDF attempt now instead.
Anonymous
Not applicable
gdl is probably the most accurate way to achieve the curving tubular white object since it appears to have varying diameters (I can't even imagine where to begin - maybe here? - it's a wild shot). The rest can be made using walls and profile manager. Unless you are already comfortable with gdl or willing to invest the time to code the tubular object I would probably stick to using profiles with the wall tool to achieve the curving object as a separate piece, save as .gsm, add "ROT" command to position it correctly (Yes, it won't be a true Nautilus shape - but maybe it doesn't have to be to serve its purpose?). Then build the the engine using the cylinder object (since it does not have to be detailed) and the metal feet/flaps/stands could also be achieved in profile manager with a wall.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Junior. I have almost no GDL knowledge, so that's not an option for me on this one. (one day I shall learn it...)
I just fudged it with the profile manager, it's not elegant, but it gives the Mech Eng an idea of what we're trying to achieve...