Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How to improve workability when ArchiCAD is running slow?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Currently my file size is 32mb.

It's still easy to work in 2D but when it come to 3D I have to wait for long time.

I can turn off the layer but not very helpful.

The building is an office & commercial building with 13 floor and one basement.

There is a lot of Seo between the basement to level 1.

Is there an configuration for utilizing all the CPU core?

Other methods are welcome.
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
beautiful wrote:
Currently my file size is 32mb.
The saved file? The 3D model? 32MB isn't much but the information is not necessarily relevant.
It's still easy to work in 2D but when it come to 3D I have to wait for long time.
There are many things that could cause this. You should isolate the part of the model that is causing the problem. Binary search (test by halves) is usually the quickest way.
I can turn off the layer but not very helpful.
Then perhaps it's not on that layer.
The building is an office & commercial building with 13 floor and one basement.
This doesn't tell us much, but unless it is extremely detailed it shouldn't cause a performance problem.
There is a lot of Seo between the basement to level 1.
This could be the cause if the operations are very complex. Also remember that beams automatically interact with walls, slabs and meshes. A highly detailed steel structure can slow things down considerably if the beams' layer is not set to a to a different intersection priority. This is particularly important with large site meshes.
Is there an configuration for utilizing all the CPU core?
ArchiCAD takes care of this for you. Most (though not all) processes use multiple cores.
Other methods are welcome.
If the model really is too big for your hardware you can use the marquee tool along with the 3D filter to model only the section you need to work on.
Karl Ottenstein
Another thing to look at on a large (physical size - 13 story) model that can impact things - even though, as Matthew says, the 32 MB file is actually pretty small is your level of detail.

With 13 stories, I imagine you have lots of doors/windows. If you are showing handles (particularly rounded ones) and detailed 3D representation parameters for frames and more - the polygon count can add up and slow things down in 3D.

If you have not done so already, go to Help > Downloads and download and install the PolyCount add-on. Restart ArchiCAD to activate the add-on (easiest method). With the 3D window displayed, open PolyCount to find out if there are areas of your model that have a surprisingly large number of polygons.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
If you can enough ram you can double the speed in same operations (section, elevations...)
you can view how to in one of my tutorials... in spanish!!!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZoj2K50C40
Anonymous
Not applicable
I don´t know if you´ve seen this but might be helpful:

http://www.archicadwiki.com/Big%20Building%20Whitepaper
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
With the 3D window displayed, open PolyCount to find out if there are areas of your model that have a surprisingly large number of polygons.
Here is the result. Total polygons: 1,150,000+

Door: 530k +
Curtain Wall : 570k +
Wall: 26k +
Column: 25k +
Slab: 6k +
Window: 956
The rest not established.

I not sure what these result mean. Any comment would be fine.