Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How to open an auto save file?

Rick Thompson
Expert
(or, How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb)

I just had an interesting experience, which brought up something I haven't considered before. I managed to delete about 2 hours of work somehow. (I am on a beta 12, and not the final release.. I think I found a bug:( Anyway, I could not go backwards and undo it, so I was screwed.. basically. I tried to open an auto save file, but could not. Then.. I remembered a bug in stairmaker, so in as few steps as I could, I crashed AC on purpose. I was then able to open AC and prompt the autosave feature, which got me back. If I didn't know how to crash it, I would have really been up poop creek, as someone was waiting on the work to be sent to them right then.

So, in leu of being able to intentionally crash AC, is there away to open an auto save file? If not, I will put it on the wish list. It could be sort of a fail safe mechanism aka Dr, Strangelove.
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
22 REPLIES 22
Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
Rick wrote:
(or, How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb)
So, in leu of being able to intentionally crash AC, is there away to open an auto save file? If not, I will put it on the wish list. It could be sort of a fail safe mechanism aka Dr, Strangelove.
Duh...his method was indeed fool prof but not very tempting....ArchiCAD loops itself in endless crashing and finally explodes....😉
AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.
TomWaltz
Participant
JaredBanks wrote:
And doesn't ArchiCAD always ask you if you'd like to save, if you're quiting with unsaved changes?

Side question. How do people handle backups with .pln files? I'm more familiar with teamwork backups. Right now with solo projects I'm just manually dragging copies of the file onto a back folder on my machine. I'm assuming there's a better/more automated way.
I've never known Archicad to let you out of a file without saving if you have changed something since the last save (one exception: if you edit the View Map).

I'd say most people are keeping those files on a server, which is regularly backed up (or if you're really cool, you have a Mac with Time Machine and you're not even thinking about it)
Tom Waltz
JaredBanks
Mentor
My Mac is not yet cool enough to have a time machine on it. Soon I hope. And I hate waiting to retrieve files off the server backups. I like to have more control when I need to double check something from a few days ago... and don't want to bother the computer guy for something that might not be seen as mission critical or anything but OCD-inspired.

Anyways, good to know I'm not ignoring some simple check box somewhere. And more importantly not ignoring telling all the other AC users at my firm about some magical check box...

thanks!
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome