Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

In AC17, can walls clean up to roofs as well as to slabs?

Eric Bobrow
Enthusiast
I was asked by a client to troubleshoot a section in AC17, since the walls did not clean up in section to the deck.

After some testing, I found that the new Building Material-based intersection management seems to only work for walls meeting slabs. In this case, the deck is sloped so it is done with a composite roof, which meets a lower wall and a parapet wall.

Here is an image of the original model intersection along with a copy of the same walls meeting the same composite when placed as a slab instead of a roof. In the case of the slab, the intersection cleans up pretty well in section.

When the roof meets the walls, it doesn't clean up at all with the new building materials. The best I could do is to use Solid Element Operations (as seen in the image), and even then, the roof sheathing sticks into the wall rather than stopping at the core framing of the wall.

When I tried using the Connect command, the walls got trimmed back to the edge of the roof, which only extended to the outside of the core; thus the walls then lost their sheathing, which looked totally wrong. I tried moving the roof pivot line to the outside of the wall face, and changing the Trim to Roof option in the Roof Settings to Pivot Lines Down, but that didn't help restore the wall sheathing - it still was removed by the Connect command.

Does anyone have any better suggestions for getting a good cleanup with parapet walls meeting roofs in AC17? At this point, it looks like one will need to use SEO and then a patch to clean up the intersection.

Eric

ArchiCAD-17-building-materials-section-question.jpg
26 REPLIES 26
Anonymous
Not applicable
I checked everything and it all looks good: The fills are the same on wall, beam and roof. I'm sure the the three of them collide perfectly.

Attached is a test will a simple rectangular beam (not a complex profile), using the same red concrete fill. the junction still doesn't work.
Eduardo Rolon
Check your renovation status and layer intersection settings. One of the two might be the reason for the line.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
The renovation status is the same on the three elements (roof, wall, beam).
Layer intersection settings.. Where can I find those?
Eduardo Rolon
open Layers and see attached. If the layers have different numbers the same fills will not clean up.
Screen Shot 2014-06-23 at 10.55.58 AM.png
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
THAT WAS IT! What a relief!
Now, I'm wondering what's the standard use for that function?
Eduardo Rolon
prior to the renovation filters it was used for DEMO plans and it is useful to separate items that are the same in section or elevation that you don't need to clean up.

take in consideration that the numbers are saved in the layer sets so you will need to update those too.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
The only solution I think is to have a concrete roof material separate from the concrete wall material. and probably separate insulation material for roof, wall and floor.

This is what I do and it works. It means having lots of materials depending on the type of project and you need to figure out a way of organizing the materials so that you can find what you need. Similar to layers.

I would like to see materials be able to be organised into tree folders, similar to the view map. So you can have multiple materials stored in "roof" "wall" "floor" folders as you need. Otherwise you end up with long lists of materials.