Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Item reference

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

I am missing an option in Archicad very much. Maybe it already exists am I am just not aware.

Example: You create a chair. You create 50copies of the chair and position them as you like. You later realise that you want to change something on the chairs.
There must be an option to make a selection of elements as a reference unit for others to copy. So then if you change one, all would change. This way you don't need to recopy and reposition all chairs every time you decide to change something.

Is anything like this possible already?
Thank you for your help. Best Regards,
Primoz
6 REPLIES 6
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Use find and select and add enough criteria to be able to distinguish the chair, once you have selected, give it a proper unique ID and it should be even easier to find.

In most cases a little forward planning helps. It takes 2 seconds to input an element ID when placing something and huge benefit after that.

You can also setup work environment to automatically increment an ID number every time you place something, provided the ID you start with has a number.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Also take a look at hotlinked modules, for repeating groups of similar things and only editing them once.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
What you want to achieve reminds me of how things work in Revit. Revit has types where you edit the definition of the object type and all placed instances of the type are automatically updated.
Revit also has groups, which is a group of elements and if you modify one group all other instances of that group are also automatically updated.

In ARCHICAD these things work differently.
If you want to change the definition of objects, you need to use Find & Select as Edwin suggested. Select all instances you want to modify and when they are all selected, go to its Settings Dialog and change settings.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for you replies. I think what I had in mind is what laszlonagy described in Revit. I know how to select all library object with the same specifications,layers etc. using the ctrl+F tool and then change the items properties.
My problem is: I design a chair or a desk by myself for example, using multiple slabs, shells and morphs and then multiply these items across the room. After a while I realise that I need to make the back of the chair rounded. Now I have to delete all of the chairs, change one and multiply it all over again with all the rotations, which can prove as very difficult in cases where you need to make a visualization comparisson using the same positioning of different items, since you won't be able to place them exactly the same. This time I would need to select every single one of my models and change them by hand one at a time.

It would be so much easier if you could set a number of items or models (formed by slabs shells etc.) as linked, so that if you change one, all would change accordingly - saving tons of time.
Barry Kelly
Gizzox wrote:
It would be so much easier if you could set a number of items or models (formed by slabs shells etc.) as linked, so that if you change one, all would change accordingly - saving tons of time.
That is why you need to look at Hotlinked Modules as suggested before.

When you alter the source of the hotlink all the place hotlinks will update as well.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yup, looks like that's it This will save time. Thanks a lot.