cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

LET'S BRING THE FUN BACK

Djordje
Ace
... or your top ten ArchiCAD wishes.

Mine is in the topic title, all encompassing.

The particulars?

- concept modeling tool
- stair tool
- parametric object creation tool with graphical interface (doors and windows included)
- sloped top walls
- double curve curtain wall that also punches a hole in a wall
- true curved roofs
- assembly tools (railings, false ceiling, panelling ... yes, I know Curtain Wall can be used for this)
- overhaul of the annotation tools, especially correct dimensioning text orientation
- full backwards compatibility/old file opening and/or conversion tools (long life projects, anyone?)
- OLE (don't care that MacOS does not have it, Windows does not have other things)

And now, you ...
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
56 REPLIES 56
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
...and I'm trying to figure out what any of that has to do with "Bringing the Fun Back"?? But, we all have our own definition of 'fun' I suppose. 😉

Karl
Who are you addressing with this post?
Karl Ottenstein
vincon2 wrote:
Pretty much everybody all the way back to Djordje's original post. Starting with his post, this was a massive wishlist (which will be mostly ignored by GS because they only process wishes that are per-topic and in a wish forum) - but I just didn't see that any of the wishes, yours included, had much to do with making ArchiCAD fun again...which is the subject line of the thread.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
vincon2 wrote:
Karl wrote:
...and I'm trying to figure out what any of that has to do with "Bringing the Fun Back"?? But, we all have our own definition of 'fun' I suppose. 😉

Karl
Good point, I remember thinking the same thing after I started reading this thread.

Are you still doing the High Tech High Nature retreat?

(I met you there when I attended in 05)
Dwight
Newcomer
Bringing the fun back = Archicad 4.5
Dwight Atkinson
Karl Ottenstein
vincon2 wrote:

Nope, I only participated in that first one in the Spring of 2005 that you attended, Jeff. The costs related to the venue were such that there wasn't much left for instructor fees and the days were way too long for the "staff" (16+ hour days).

I hope to put together something similar here in Montana at some point in stronger economic times, whether in Yellowstone or Glacier, or more economically based here in Bozeman with skiing, hiking, fly fishing, river rafting, caving (etc) and Yellowstone excursion options depending on the season. Now, THAT would bring the fun back for me! 😉

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
vincon2 wrote:

Nope, I only participated in that first one in the Spring of 2005 that you attended, Jeff. The costs related to the venue were such that there wasn't much left for instructor fees and the days were way too long for the "staff" (16+ hour days).

I hope to put together something similar here in Montana at some point in stronger economic times, whether in Yellowstone or Glacier, or more economically based here in Bozeman with skiing, hiking, fly fishing, river rafting, caving (etc) and Yellowstone excursion options depending on the season. Now, THAT would bring the fun back for me! 😉

Cheers,
Karl
That sounds sweet, let me know when you do this. I like Montana so much better than Yosemite. I've spent some time in West Yellowstone, love the fishing and the incredible outdoors. I also hiked up to the base of the Grand Tetons and that was fantastic as well. It would be nice to make a trip down there again after the retreat. It completely blows away Yosemite in my opinion. I walked the rivers at the HTHN retreat and didn't even see a freakin minnow.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Dwight,
You wrote: "Bringing the fun back = Archicad 4.5".
Do you really mean that ? If I were to say what
my most fun version of AC it would be AC 6.5 v4.
It was not too complicated, very usable, and the
most stable version I can remember and besides,
it had the mesh tool and a few very useful new
GDL commands. Since I don't use teamwork,
maybe that is why it seemed so easy and fun to use.
Peter Devlin
Dwight
Newcomer
Fair enough: You get to pick your favorite, too.

Revised:

Bringing back the fun = SketchUp.

RE: Archicad 4.5 ---- Computers and Archicad arrived for me in 1992. It all seemed so fresh and clean then. I am merely being nostalgic. Sort of like your first love and all that.

We were less cynical then. It seemed like we would do great things with computers AND it would be simple and quick - automatic, even.

Hahahahaha. Sob.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Dwight,
Interesting. I got involved with computers and cad programs
at about the same time, maybe a little later, and felt the same
as you. I do notice that I am not as disappointed and cynical
as many and wonder what is the mater with me. It may be
that I don't expect to much which would make me more cynical.
The consequence is I'm still having fun or think I am.
Good to talk to you Dwight,
Peter Devlin
Dwight
Newcomer
In writing my "Artlantis Attitude" project, I am just addressing the sense of betrayal many users feel when they realize that… whatever it is… it is not going to be automatic.

While i get paid to solve software problems and still manage to get real work done, I feel such sympathy for users who need to hit the ground running whether it is a design, a construction document or a rendering.

Still too much "grunt" and not enough "soar."
Dwight Atkinson