Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Lack of simplicity in 3d modelling

Anonymous
Not applicable
Why isn't there a 3d modelling method that allows the user to model complex objects in a simple way? (like in sketchup). Archicad is much too literal in the way its library parts are set up, it lacks simplicity! Modelling a complex roof form is a nightmare (mesh to roof is in no way up to standard!), sloping a beam always seems to be tricky (if anyone knows how to model a sloped RHS, please let me know, thanks) - these should be basic fundamentals of an architectural modelling program!!!
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable
That's the problem Link, it's not very simple.

It might be easy for a user like yourself who has obviously used archicad for a long time and is accustomed to its convoluted processes. I've only been using the program for a year, and from my viewpoint, I think that it could be simplified a great deal. Modelling certain components just takes too long, and it's incredibly frustrating and slows down productivity. There is not always time to stop work, and go onto the forum, ask your question, and then wait for a reply.

When designing and documenting a building, there is a need to be able to manipulate shapes with great flexibility. Not everything is an off the shelf library part. You need to have the ability to be able to 'notch out' or extrude parts, or twist sections, or what ever!! Archicad certainly does not allow this flexibility. It seems like its only geared up for brick veneer kit homes, unless it is assisted by plugin programs, adding yet another step to the drawn out process.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Forgive me for wading in on this discussion, Olivia. Rather than arguing how easy/difficult modelling some hypothetical building structure is, perhaps post up or describe exactly what you are struggling with. Many people would be more than happy to talk you through it, to get you started. (Or at least point out if it can be done or not, and maybe point out where you are going wrong.)

ArchiCAD has its quirks and limitations, I agree, but take advantage of Link/Dwight et al who are the masters of complex profiles! They know what they are talking about!

(Supposedly)

I promise, it's really not that difficult to learn!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Use Objective and set your self free
http://www.encina.co.uk/objective.html
Joseph
Djordje
Ace
Olivia wrote:
Sorry, I don't know what you mean by 'not the kid stuff'.

I don't think that a sloped RHS can really be put in the same category as 'malleable plastic architecture'. What I'm trying to achieve here is not up with the fairy's, it's just a sloped RHS, which should be a very simple task.

It would just be nice to be able to have more flexibility to create editable 3d elements.
Yes it would.

But then, people start complaining before they check the library and what all the parameters do.

Do check the steel sections library. All the standard sections are there, incline angles are available, cutting angles at the ends too. There is no need to separately model any of the standard steel profiles.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen