Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Large tiling projects? Eptar tiling addon anyone?

Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
Hi,
we're doing lot's of aqua arenas (swimming halls) and I'd like to know if anyone is doing the tiling in a smarter way than 2D-fills on plans and int elevations?
I'll give the Eptar tiling addon a go after summer.
Cheers,
Mats
AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, I usually work with tiles also, what I do is a building material for the tile, and I prepare this material with all information, a surface that reflects the tile, and a fill that reflect the surface, and this material I use it on walls or slab, within a composite or alone, and use then align the texture in 3d or the fill in 2D.

Even though I tried Eptar tilling (just a demo) once and it has great features if you want to go further.
Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
arqrivas wrote:
Hi, I usually work with tiles also, what I do is a building material for the tile, and I prepare this material with all information, a surface that reflects the tile, and a fill that reflect the surface, and this material I use it on walls or slab, within a composite or alone, and use then align the texture in 3d or the fill in 2D.

Even though I tried Eptar tilling (just a demo) once and it has great features if you want to go further.
How do you deal with irregular tiling patterns? I did a quick dummy today with curtain walls set as tiles w mortar and it's really neat however dumb when it comes to aligning the scheme. When I use CW as susp ceiling I create a column that I can snap the CW-grid to. really time consuming and boring way of doing it. The cool thing with CW is that I can get a schedule of every tile (panel). Today we do it mostly old school 2D but we do so many large swimming halls so we should find a way to be more efficient.
AC 25 SWE Full

Anonymous
Not applicable
Depending on how irregular is the pattern, I can even go to do it tile by tile, but I can also fix the texture in a photo editor to fit the pattern, and create a fill accordingly.

As an example in this project, the wall tiles are part of the wall composite and I just align the texture in 3d and the fill in section correspond to the 3d view, but for the floor as you can see it's a little more complicated, every red square is a different slab, as well as the thin dark lines, separate from the main slab using a different surface each one for the different tile sizes. Using this technique you can not count every single tile but you can get square feet from it.

I really have never use the curtain wall tool to do tiles, that's interesting...
2.jpg
Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
arqrivas wrote:
Depending on how irregular is the pattern, I can even go to do it tile by tile, but I can also fix the texture in a photo editor to fit the pattern, and create a fill accordingly.

As an example in this project, the wall tiles are part of the wall composite and I just align the texture in 3d and the fill in section correspond to the 3d view, but for the floor as you can see it's a little more complicated, every red square is a different slab, as well as the thin dark lines, separate from the main slab using a different surface each one for the different tile sizes. Using this technique you can not count every single tile but you can get square feet from it.

I really have never use the curtain wall tool to do tiles, that's interesting...
Wow! What a lovely detailing and style. Would be great to get such a project but Swedish contemporary style is very...IKEA...all flat and modern... I will play around with different alternatives to see if we can find a smarter way. I'll post if so
AC 25 SWE Full