cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Lost model in 3d space

Anonymous
Not applicable
Any ideas out there about what might be happening with the following?

When I switched to the 3D view, my model was lost, apparently zoomed out to an almost infinite distance. With a great degree of trial and error, I can locate the model again, but if I try to navigate the model at all, it disappears again to the same place. I tried selecting all to see if I had some errant bit of architecture somewhere way off the map; no luck. I tried changing my redraw options to keep the 3d view on rebuild; no luck there either.
This has happened in the past and is annoying each time, but this time I'm out of ideas.
Got any?
Thanks!
9 REPLIES 9
Dwight
Newcomer
Sometimes ArchiCAD makes reference to a prior 3D view setting when making a view. You might have a prior setting that is some distance away or even in another direction.

Place a camera into the set and use it to establish your view instead.
Dwight Atkinson
Djordje
Ace
Richard wrote:
When I switched to the 3D view, my model was lost, apparently zoomed out to an almost infinite distance.
Parallel or perspective view?

The "usual" way to find it if lost in perspective view is, as Dwight said, to place a camera on the floor plan and use that. Then you can fine tune it if needed.

The way to find your geometry is to do the parallel view, and zoom to fit. All the layers should be on. If you still see nothing that does mean that a part of the model is VERY far away.

Keep the Navigator preview on, as you can navigate from it, too.

Nothing like 5 minutes in a training class ...
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
I try everything that you guys say here but still dont work...
if I select all(CTRL+ A) in perspective window i can see the model but once that i deselect dissapear....
Anonymous
Not applicable
Richard wrote:
When I switched to the 3D view, my model was lost, apparently zoomed out to an almost infinite distance.
What they said...

But this sounds like a weird one. Did you get it sorted yet? The failure of the setting to keep the zoom suggests some kind of malfunction. I have seen cases of a seriously whacked element stretching out to many miles and causing problems when zoomed to fit (and other things), but that doesn't sound like it could be the problem. Does it work in perspective view? Perhaps a clean merge can fix things up.

BTW; We have a pretty active user group over the hills from you here in Sonoma. The meetings are once a month in Santa Rosa if you're interested. They have been happening on second Thursdays but we may have to change to accommodate a softball schedule. PM me if you would like to be on the mailing list.
Anonymous
Not applicable
josepon77 wrote:
I try everything that you guys say here but still dont work...
if I select all(CTRL+ A) in perspective window i can see the model but once that i deselect dissapear....
Do you mean that you can't get the camera to work either?
Anonymous
Not applicable
I can see some objects in perspective view only if I select them on plan...,
I try to select all and view in 3D but doesn't work.

I can see the camera in the floor plan and also shift+click and alt +click works fine but....... in perspective there is no model plus when I use the orbit tool the whole model appears like in dots when I move the mouse and when I stop everything dissapears....

Oh NO! please help!
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
It could be a lot of things, but my first guess would be that you have 3D Cutaway activated. It is a toggle, so if you see it indented, click on it again and un-indent it.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Link,
I deleted the 3d cut planes and looks like it worked!
Now I can see the model, all of it.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Sure mate.

For next time though, please know that you don't need to clear the cutting planes, you can simply select 3D Cutaway again. If you look carefully at the menu item, you'll see the icon indents, indicating that it's a toggle!

Cheers,
Link.
3D-Cutaway.jpg