Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

MOD files & Renovation

Xan
Newcomer
Hi all

Have been pondering to implement Rob Bobrows technique of merging a MOD file of the existing building into the project, using it as a underlay/backup when making changes.

The workflow would be:
1. Draw the existing structures, renovation filter on "existing"
2. Save everything to a MOD file
3. Place this into the project i just made it from on a special locked "underlay layer" with a unique wall intersection number (to avoid intersections"
4. The designers can then copy from the mod if anything is accidentally deleted, use it as a reference, get an updated MOD if there are errors in the original measurement drawings etc.
5. The renovation filter would be used for new, demolish to create the appropriate drawing materials.

Question is are there any problems using a MOD as an underlay? Like having duplicate walls. The scheduling are easy enough (omitting the MOD layer)

Thanks, Bram
Macbook Pro 15" i7 - ArchiCad 14 Int
4 REPLIES 4
David Maudlin
Rockstar
Xan wrote:
5. The renovation filter would be used for new, demolish to create the appropriate drawing materials.
Since the Demolition status is applied to Existing elements, I am not sure how that will work with this approach.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Xan
Newcomer
Hi David

Thanks for your answer, how do you see using the reno-filters could be a bad thing in respect to the MOD file?
David Maudlin
Rockstar
Xan:

For example, demolishing an existing window. Using the standard method, the user would select the window and change its status from Existing to To Be Demolished, and it will show correctly (Existing, Demolished, New fill in existing opening) depending on the Renovation Filter for the View. Using the Mod file, does the user open the Mod file to change the Status of the window? I have not used the Mod method, so am curious about its use with the new Renovation feature.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Xan
Newcomer
Hi

the users would work in a copy of the mod, not the mod itself - it's only for backup and reference.

Regards Bram