Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

Modeling sugestion

Milan
Enthusiast

Hi everyone.

I have this particular structure to be modeled, but is a bit harder than simple column and beam method, because is curved all the way (as you can see from the top view). wall tool neither work, and maybe shell is only valid, but not sure how... any ideas? i can import as a object, convert it into morph but not sure if thats good, especially when construction stage is ready.

Thanks!

Snimak ekrana 2024-06-20 094032.pngSnimak ekrana 2024-06-20 094252.png

Operating system used: Windows

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution

Definetly with a shell. I did a realy fast try out of curiocity with holes in a round shell to create the pattern and  then used the multiply-rotate increment for just the holes (you can do that)  to rotate the holes around the shell.

I feel that it can also be done with just  shells that trim each other to create the pattern and then multiply and rotate the pattern. this might be better because the section would be correct.

You can see in my picture that the pattern is distorted because I did it fast without considering accurate dimensions.  

Following the scenario with the two shells you might need to create holes to cut some parts so it will look perfect. 

Obviously with grasshoper might be simpler...... 

Screenshot 2024-06-20 164744.png

Botonis Botonakis
Civil Engineer, Enviromental Design MSc., BIM Manager for BS ArhitectsVR
Company or personal website
Archicad 27. Windows 11. Intel Xeon 2699x2,64 GB RAM, Nvidia 3080Ti. 2 Monitors.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Fruzsi
Participant

Hi,

It resembles a ramp because of its curved nature. It may not be perfect, but you can test it with the several curved ramp.

Fruzsi_0-1718882559874.png

Of course, importing is also good.

yeah, I just may leave it for now.. .

thanks tho! 

Solution

Definetly with a shell. I did a realy fast try out of curiocity with holes in a round shell to create the pattern and  then used the multiply-rotate increment for just the holes (you can do that)  to rotate the holes around the shell.

I feel that it can also be done with just  shells that trim each other to create the pattern and then multiply and rotate the pattern. this might be better because the section would be correct.

You can see in my picture that the pattern is distorted because I did it fast without considering accurate dimensions.  

Following the scenario with the two shells you might need to create holes to cut some parts so it will look perfect. 

Obviously with grasshoper might be simpler...... 

Screenshot 2024-06-20 164744.png

Botonis Botonakis
Archicad 27. Windows 11. Intel Xeon 2699x2,64 GB RAM, Nvidia 3080Ti. 2 Monitors.

oh, thanks a lot. 

I will try to do it on this way. im not so much into shells but i can give it a try.

Again, thanks many!

Botonis
Advisor

I evolved the idea a little bit:pattern in 3d . this is one shell frame just for fun......It can be also a single mass shell.pattern in 3d . this is one shell frame just for fun......It can be also a single mass shell.multiply rotatemultiply rotatecreate the round shape with holes in the horizontal levelcreate the round shape with holes in the horizontal level

again not precise dimensions

Botonis Botonakis
Patrick M
Advisor

was just going to recommend the shell tool. Also, don't assume AC is always the best tool for the job; not sure what this shape is for, but if it is just an asset (fixture, decoration, etc.) you may want to look at rhino or even sketchup.

In theory, the morph with the extrude on path option 'could' work, but I guarantee it wont... the same feature in SKP would be a breeze. The morph tool is so close to being great, just needs a few bits of fine tuning.

If it has to be  built in AC, a wall or shell with custom openings would be the best bet

BIM solutions and trouble shooting (self proclaimed) expert. Using Archicad 26 5002 US on Mac OS 11.5.2
Botonis
Advisor

If you consider this shell as a finish and you add a composite slab and trim the outer of the slab then you have a proper construction probably to be correctly visible in sections. I had in my mind a way to create a building exterior shell-finish with an interior to be filled. I kind of box. Not just a volume..

it took me 5 minutes so I think it is an honest solution.

Greetings @Patrick M 

Botonis Botonakis
Botonis
Advisor

And to simplify more the process you don't even need to place holes. Just use the shell countour to create the round shape.

Screenshot 2024-06-20 194154.png

The top curve is not exact because I did it fast and without precise dimensions. Obviously you need to calculate the arcs here to be correct.

Botonis Botonakis

Setup info provided by author