Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Modelling Fences

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all!

Short and simple question from me today.

I've been spending AGES inputting a fence around a site today. And I was thinking, wouldn't it be so much easier if you could input a fence like you can with the wall tool. Where you can click on each corner and bang, you have a wall. Instead of adding a new object every time the fence changes direction.

Having a quick look around archicad, I don't think you can do this, but if you can, could somebody point me in the right direction?

And if you can't do that please please please graphisoft can you implement it into the next release?! It can't be too hard can it? Just using the wall tool functions but then adding a fence instead of a solid wall...

Anyway,

Thanks!
4 REPLIES 4
Erika Epstein
Booster
how about creating a custom wall profile of your railing and apply it to a wall or beam (beams can be sloped along with the terrain. For site fences you are not usually seeing them up close, so depending on the scale you can elaborate fencing only where it will show. Verticals may not even be necessary depending on the scale, or columns can be paced multiplied along lengths of fences...
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
As soon as I clicked on submit, I had the brainwave that was what you just described.

Thanks for replying anyway!

Still think graphisoft should implement this though, as in some parts I will have to go around adding columns for the fence posts.
Barry Kelly
Have you had a look in your libraries to see what objects you have?
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Barry,

Yeah, I have plenty of fences in my object library. But it was taking an age to add one, then rotate to the angle I wanted, then change the size, then space out the posts... etc etc

Instead I made a complex profile of the horizontal beams of the fence, and applied it to the beams which I placed (whilst weighting them down to the mesh). After that I just added some columns for the fence posts.

Seems a long way round, but in actual fact made it a lot quicker.

Tom